Should I buy the deal first or hire a contractor first?

2 Replies

Trying to do the brrrr but wasnt sure what comes first, the deal of the house or contractor opinion on what the rehab might cost, which position should I take first

Originally posted by @Klaycon Santos :

Trying to do the brrrr but wasnt sure what comes first, the deal of the house or contractor opinion on what the rehab might cost, which position should I take first

In my market, no GC is going to look at the house until at least it is under contract, or they will charge an hourly wage to come out that you will not like.

@Klaycon Santos you’re going to have problems finding a GC who will come look at houses with you. I mean, you can always ask and offer to pay them for their time - but most contractors are busy enough doing the work they enjoy doing that they don’t have to do extra ‘bidding’ even if it makes them some money.

There are some books that help with estimating costs, or possibly reach out to a knowledgeable realtor/investor who is willing to work with you when you find a property you like. The trick is finding someone who can work fast - many deals you’ll want to get an offer in quick. It will be a hinderance if you need to wait a week for a second walkthrough.