Would it be wise to do a cash out refinance before a recession?

Would it be wise to do a cash out refinance before a recession?

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hello,

I was hoping to gain some knowledge as to refinancing a home. Would it be better to do a cash out refinance now and hold the equity of my home in case of a market collapse? I’m new to BP and was looking for some guidance. It’s a multi family home and I’m wondering if keeping the cash flow coming in as it is, would be smarter choice and holding a smaller mortgage, or if I would be better to take the equity out now and be ready to buy another property in the event of a recession.

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

0Reply
15 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Based on my understanding, yes. Pull out the money while it's still good and interest rates are low. 

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @William Gantz

    I wouldn't pull money out specifically for the fear of a recession. 

    I would pull money out now due to rates being low, and if you have a planned use for the money - like a down payment for more rental properties. 

    If your property, is a primary residence multi-family property you could pull out up to 75% LTV.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @William Gantz You can either refinance now when rates are at historical lows or wait and risk not being able to refinance.  A common theme from everyone who talks about recessions: money dries up and getting loans becomes more difficult.  From what I've been told, I wouldn't expect you to have the ability to refinance if a major recession hits.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Jerry Padilla

    Great thanks for your advice it’s much appreciated!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you all for your advice, I will look into the necessary steps to do so! I appreciate you taking the time to respond and hope I can be an asset to this forum the way you are.

  • Lender · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jerry Padilla:

    @William Gantz

    I wouldn't pull money out specifically for the fear of a recession. 

    I would pull money out now due to rates being low, and if you have a planned use for the money - like a down payment for more rental properties. 

    If your property, is a primary residence multi-family property you could pull out up to 75% LTV.

    Property doesn’t need to be primary to pull 75%. 

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @William Gantz 

    If this property is a rental and not your primary as I had mentioned above the LTV is 70% for a cash out refinance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.