Borrowing against Precious Metals

2 Replies

Anyone here ever borrowed against Gold and/or Silver Bullion for purchasing real estate? If the price of precious metals is expected to go up (significantly?), it might make sense to invest more in bullion and then leverage it to purchase real estate. You'll be able to capture the appreciation of the metals, while also acquiring more property.

Does this logic make sense?

Wondering if anyone has experience and can lend insight. Also looking for recommendations for lenders. I've googled some, but haven't done a deep dive yet.

It seems to me that every time I hear someone talking about precious metals, they are about to start going up.

What happens if the prices go down instead? Do you have a margin call from the lender? That would force you to quickly sell off your real estate, likely at a substantial loss, and sounds pretty risky to me.

Originally posted by @Greg Scott :

It seems to me that every time I hear someone talking about precious metals, they are about to start going up.

What happens if the prices go down instead?  Do you have a margin call from the lender?  That would force you to quickly sell off your real estate, likely at a substantial loss, and sounds pretty risky to me.

It has started...it's been on a run since COVID hit. I don't want to park my money in dollars with the way the fed keeps printing money. Even if the price of bullion doesn't take off, it should outperform the dollar.

To clarify, my intent is to use the bullion to fund the down payment on the mortgage, not the full loan.