Financing Advice for First (non live-in) Fix & Flip

Financing Advice for First (non live-in) Fix & Flip

Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 18 votes

Hey all! I have the following potential deal on a fix & flip and curious if anyone has advice to creatively finance the deal: SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!! 

Asking Price: $269k 

Renovation: $80k (added about 10%-15% onto my original numbers for emergency) 

ARV: $395k

Working with a hard money lender to potentially get 90% of purchase price and 100% of the renovation covered, but I need a plan B if they say I don't have an established enough portfolio to lend. I have about $17k in cash I can put down whether that's through hard money or a construction loan. Unfortunately can't do FHA 203k as I'm already living in my primary residence as a live in flip. I could partner up with a friend for more cash for the downpayment, but selfishly would like to keep it an individual deal for a few reasons.

Any other suggestions out there on how I could creatively finance this in my budget? Also willing to take any feedback (harsh or not!) on thoughts on the deal numbers. 

Thanks in advance! 

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 146 posts · 101 votes
5y

I don't think you have enough spread there.

Closing cost with commissions will be about 8%.

Then if you take into consideration the cost of hard money it'll become really tight. You will mostly pay 2pts on full loan amount for construction money too and then interest while holding the asset.   Doing all the math right now you probably almost break even.   If you sell for less or construction goes higher you can quickly be in territory to lose money.  You probably need buy for 250 or less.   Those are my thoughts but I don't know that market or more particulars about your deal.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 146 posts · 101 votes
    5y

    I don't think you have enough spread there.

    Closing cost with commissions will be about 8%.

    Then if you take into consideration the cost of hard money it'll become really tight. You will mostly pay 2pts on full loan amount for construction money too and then interest while holding the asset.   Doing all the math right now you probably almost break even.   If you sell for less or construction goes higher you can quickly be in territory to lose money.  You probably need buy for 250 or less.   Those are my thoughts but I don't know that market or more particulars about your deal.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Barr thanks for the feedback!

    What do you use as a quick rule of thumb when analyzing fix & flip deals? I've seen purchase price at 65%-70% of the ARV is a high level way to filter good deals from not so good at first. But curious as to other investors' methods.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 146 posts · 101 votes
    5y

    maybe a 10% return on investment.   If you PM I can send the calculator I have used.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Account Closed

    Pass.  Your numbers are too tight.

    Here's what I see.

    If the purchase price is 269k and the renovation amount is 80k, then the acquisition cost, without carrying cost, is 349k. That's 88% of the ARV. That's not counting closing costs or the monthly payment for the original loan potentially putting you at 100% of the value. Your only avenue, once the property is renovated, is to sell it because you won't have the LTV to close on a conventional or portfolio loan and you won't make money when you sell it because of the cost (Realtors, staging and closing costs) to sell.

    All in, you should be at 70% of the ARV or walk away. That 70% should encompass, acquisition, renovation, carrying costs and closing costs from the potential sale.

    Hope that helps

    Stephanie

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Stephanie P. Very helpful thanks for the feedback Stephanie!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.