Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Angela Mehri
Votes |
Need advise should I get a lawyer on contractor threat

Angela Mehri
Posted Jan 15 2022, 12:33

Hello BP, I hired a contractor for tile & tub installation in my 2 bathrooms. It was part of a water damage claim so the insurance company is involved. The initial proposal I got from the contractor was $7000 dollar and I have to reimburse the materials that they need to purchase. I was supposed to buy big items like a bathtub and tiles. So I submitted the proposal to my insurance claim adjuster. I told her I will send you receipts for the materials to get reimbursed for that. The claim adjuster told me to put all in one so it will be easier for her to track. So I edited the proposal and submitted $12600 with materials as estimated because I wasn't sure how much materials the contractor will buy. I told the contractor right away that I submitted a $12600 dollar proposal to the insurance company. Also, I gave them the insurance company number and contractor number to the insurance company so they can talk to each other for transparency. They were adding stuff every day saying need this to make the scope of the work even more. I told the insurance company to call them and ask for a proper explanation as I am not an expert in this. As a part of the contract, final payment will be made upon completion of the work successfully (around $2000). But suddenly they were asking money now and then and with good faith, I paid them all money. I was out of the country and they pack up as soon as they got the payment and left the work with 55% remaining. When I called them why not come to work they said I did fraud by editing their proposal and they won't work. I told them you were informed about the updated proposal. I called the insurance company the right way and explained them. The insurance company apologized for the miscommunication and asked to submit the receipts for the materials. when I asked the contractor to return the payment for the job they didn't complete now they are keep threatening to take me to court every time I ask for money. I kept the contactor in CC when I email the insurance company and sent them all evidence that they were aware of the updated proposal and I never lied or ask them to lie. I sent all screenshots of our conversions to the insurance company. The insurance company asked them to explain how much work they have done but they are not replying to their emails instead keep sending me texts about taking me to court. I want to know should I get a lawyer? The insurance company had both proposals (initial and updated ones) since the beginning of the project. I have done nothing wrong knowingly or have anything bad in my heart. But should I worry about anything or talk to a lawyer? 

Loading replies...