Pros and cons of having one LLC for two states

Pros and cons of having one LLC for two states

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

So I am looking to get some feedback on the pros and cons of having one LLC for two states. The LLC would be set up in the state of Texas where I reside and buy most of my properties. I am looking to buy some more properties in Mississippi. In order to simplify accounting purposes I was thinking of simply registering the Texas LLC in the state of Mississippi And buying Mississippi properties as well in this LLC that also would own Texas properties as well.

1Reply
19 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    That will work fine as long as you properly register in Miss. It's easy. You should consider a series LLC.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @David Disraeli:

    That will work fine as long as you properly register in Miss. It's easy. You should consider a series LLC.

    It's the extra accounting that seems to be the concern with series LLC. Look at some of the past threads.

  • Attorney · Slidell, LA · Member since 2016 · 322 posts · 179 votes
    4y

    Disclaimer: I am an attorney, but I am not your attorney. This is not legal advice, just friendly information.

    As a general rule, real estate holding LLCs should be created in the same state as the property. While some states have better protections for LLCs than others, when it comes to real estate courts only want to recognize local protections. In addition, the cost to create a new LLC is the same to register an old LLC, but now you also get two LLCs (and the asset protection protections that provides). Of course, the new LLC could be a subsidiary of the old one.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Sean Morrison:

    Disclaimer: I am an attorney, but I am not your attorney. This is not legal advice, just friendly information.

    As a general rule, real estate holding LLCs should be created in the same state as the property. While some states have better protections for LLCs than others, when it comes to real estate courts only want to recognize local protections. In addition, the cost to create a new LLC is the same to register an old LLC, but now you also get two LLCs (and the asset protection protections that provides). Of course, the new LLC could be a subsidiary of the old one.

    The issue for us is the additional accounting etc. for additional LLC's. That is one of the reasons we typically put more than one property into an LLC. Am I missing something?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.