Where can I read up more on IRS codes ?

Where can I read up more on IRS codes ?

Investor · Atlanta GA · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 71 votes

Does IRS publish the various codes (maybe a book or a pdf document) that I can read up ? I am interested in knowing more about Tax saving techniques via RE investing. 

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
4y

@Kaustubh Johri the actual IRS code is 2600 pages. You will fall asleep by page 2, haha:

https://www.irs.gov/privacy-di...

As an investor, I would recommend four things:

1. Read NOLO Every Landlords Tax Deduction Guide. You can find this in libraries or just buy the book. It is a great high level explanation of deductions applicable to landlords.

https://store.nolo.com/product...

2. The IRS has many explanation documents that give examples. For a rental property investor, understanding Schedule E is critical. I have read and recommend you read the Schedule E instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pd...

3. BiggerPockets has published two books on tax strategy. I would read both of these books:

https://store.biggerpockets.co...

https://store.biggerpockets.co...

4. Find a good tax professional that has expertise in real estate investment taxes. Although educating yourself is important, a tax professional will have substantially more experience, because they do taxes for hundreds of people. They will stay current on IRS changes and have tax strategies for every stage of your investing career. I could do my own taxes, but I don't. I am knowledgeable enough that I can have an intelligent discussion with my CPA.

Two knowledgeable tax professionals have already responded this thread. Both @Natalie Kolodij and @Michael Plaks are regulars here in the forums. Ask them for the Joe Splitrock discount if you choose to work with them. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • CPA · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 413 posts · 258 votes
    4y

    @Kaustubh Johri - If you want something applicable from the IRS you can read their publications. I don't think reading the IRS code will help you come up with tax savings techniques. The IRS code is just one facet of tax law. In addition to the Code there are tax regulations, IRS bulletins, and tax court cases that have to be understood to get the big picture. It's better to read books that summarize some of the strategies for you or at least the publications, as I mentioned above, will help give you some practical guidance.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Kaustubh Johri:

    Does IRS publish the various codes (maybe a book or a pdf document) that I can read up ? I am interested in knowing more about Tax saving techniques via RE investing. 

    Stay away from the IRS publications. They do more to confuse you than to explain anything.

    Get some books: two of them are published by BiggerPockets (see the Bookstore), and on Amazon look for books by Stephen Fishman, Sandy Botkin, Tom Wheelright and Mark Kohler, among other good authors.

  • Investor · Atlanta GA · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 71 votes
    4y
    Thanks @Zev
    Any books you recommend ?


    Originally posted by @J Zev J.:

    @Kaustubh Johri - If you want something applicable from the IRS you can read their publications. I don't think reading the IRS code will help you come up with tax savings techniques. The IRS code is just one facet of tax law. In addition to the Code there are tax regulations, IRS bulletins, and tax court cases that have to be understood to get the big picture. It's better to read books that summarize some of the strategies for you or at least the publications, as I mentioned above, will help give you some practical guidance.

  • Investor · Atlanta GA · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 71 votes
    4y
    Thanks Michael. i will check out the books. Appreciate it. 

    Originally posted by @Michael Plaks:
    Originally posted by @Kaustubh Johri:

    Does IRS publish the various codes (maybe a book or a pdf document) that I can read up ? I am interested in knowing more about Tax saving techniques via RE investing. 

    Stay away from the IRS publications. They do more to confuse you than to explain anything.

    Get some books: two of them are published by BiggerPockets (see the Bookstore), and on Amazon look for books by Stephen Fishman, Sandy Botkin, Tom Wheelright and Mark Kohler, among other good authors.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Trying to read the actual internal revenue code (which is all published) is like trying to read any laws without training on it. The reaosn there's so much debate in tax and what you can/can't do is because it's very rarely clearly stated. 
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    @Kaustubh Johri the actual IRS code is 2600 pages. You will fall asleep by page 2, haha:

    https://www.irs.gov/privacy-di...

    As an investor, I would recommend four things:

    1. Read NOLO Every Landlords Tax Deduction Guide. You can find this in libraries or just buy the book. It is a great high level explanation of deductions applicable to landlords.

    https://store.nolo.com/product...

    2. The IRS has many explanation documents that give examples. For a rental property investor, understanding Schedule E is critical. I have read and recommend you read the Schedule E instructions:

    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pd...

    3. BiggerPockets has published two books on tax strategy. I would read both of these books:

    https://store.biggerpockets.co...

    https://store.biggerpockets.co...

    4. Find a good tax professional that has expertise in real estate investment taxes. Although educating yourself is important, a tax professional will have substantially more experience, because they do taxes for hundreds of people. They will stay current on IRS changes and have tax strategies for every stage of your investing career. I could do my own taxes, but I don't. I am knowledgeable enough that I can have an intelligent discussion with my CPA.

    Two knowledgeable tax professionals have already responded this thread. Both @Natalie Kolodij and @Michael Plaks are regulars here in the forums. Ask them for the Joe Splitrock discount if you choose to work with them. 

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    Two knowledgeable tax professionals have already responded this thread. Both @Natalie Kolodij and @Michael Plaks are regulars here in the forums. Ask them for the Joe Splitrock discount if you choose to work with them. 

    Can't speak for Natalie, but we might have to renegotiate this arrangement :)  PS. Thank you, Joe. 

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Plaks:
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    Two knowledgeable tax professionals have already responded this thread. Both @Natalie Kolodij and @Michael Plaks are regulars here in the forums. Ask them for the Joe Splitrock discount if you choose to work with them. 

    Can't speak for Natalie, but we might have to renegotiate this arrangement :)  PS. Thank you, Joe. 

     I make people send me a rock in the mail in addition to their normal fees if they mention

    @Joe Splitrock. I could really use a smokey quartz if anyone is interested in working with me. 

  • Investor · Atlanta GA · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 71 votes
    4y

    Thanks @Joe Splitrock . I Have ordered the BP book along with the book by Fishman. My intention was not to do my taxes but to just increase my knowledge. Thanks for the links and the information. Appreciate it. 

  • Investor · Atlanta GA · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 71 votes
    4y

    Thanks for your inputs @Natalie Kolodij and @Michael Plaks..

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.