SEP-IRA > SDIRA / Solo401K for balances below $100,000

SEP-IRA > SDIRA / Solo401K for balances below $100,000

Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hello all,

I just wanted to share my recent decision of a retirement account to set up for my self and the reason why.

A little about me
I currently have $0 in traditional retirement accounts(IRA, 401K, etc). I took an early distribution a couple of years ago and put 100% of it into real estate. The 10% penalty I paid was covered by the increase in real estate appreciation, no regrets.

However, now I am looking to shelter some of my earned income(CPA practice) by putting it away into a retirement account.

I researched various retirement accounts(SEP-IRA, Solo-401K, SDIRA) and I decided to go with the SEP-IRA.
Below are some of my reasons.

SEP-IRA Benefits
1) Ease of formation and no cost to setup. I created my SEP-IRA with Charles Schwab in 5 minutes
2) Ability to put away up to $61,000 in 2022

SEP-IRA Cons
1) Meant for Small businesses
2) No Roth Feature
3) No Loan Feature
4) Can't invest in exotic assets(Real Estate, Syndications, Crypto)

I like the benefits offered by SDIRA / Solo401K but I realized that I will not benefit as much since I have $0 currently in my retirement account and $0 eligible to be rolled over.

Some 

Why I think having a balance of below $100,000 does not make having a solo401k or SDIRA worth it.

Investing in syndications / real estate with a below $100,000 account balance is very difficult.
Syndications, normally at a minimum, require $50,000 capital contributions.
Buying Real Estate within a retirement account can be risky if you don't have enough funds in the retirement account to account for reserves.
You can't use your own funds to help a struggling property held within a retirement account. 

You can still make a SDIRA / Solo401K work with below a $100,000 balance but I don't think its worth the fees / extra hassles

SDIRA / Solo 401K's have fees to set-up + Annual Fees
My research shows that
Setup Fees Range from $500 - $2,000
Annual Fees from $100 - $1,000

The Fees can eat away from your retirement earnings making it not worth it.
Example - Solo401K with a $50,000 account balance that makes 10% which is $5,000. That person can lose $1,000 of it which ends up to $4,000 which gives it a 8% return

There is the added headaches also involved when investing through a SDIRA / Solo401k because you normally need an LLC(to get check-book control).

Why did I pick $100,000 as my benchmark and why I plan to switch to SDIRA / Solo 401K after $100,000.
At $100,000, I plan to open up a Solo401K to use the loan feature and take out $50,000 as a loan.
Solo401K(dependent on sponsor) allows for 401K Loan up to $50,000 or 50% of your loan balance, whichever is less.
I would use the rest of the balance in the solo401k to invest in syndications + issue hard money loans.

One reason I thought to create this post was because I see how often SDIRA / Solo401K are mentioned but how little SEP IRA is recommended. SEP-IRA is free to setup and should also be considered.

What are your thoughts?

1Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian EastmanPro Member
    Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Basit Siddiqi

    You have done exactly what we commonly recommend.  Build up some savings using the simple approach of a brokerage SEP, then upgrade to a Self-Directed Solo 401(k) once you have some savings accumulated.  The reasons you outline are exactly why we recommend this approach for many investors.  There are of course exceptions who have a specific investment niche in mind where a lower dollar threshold will make sense to go self-directed.

  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 917 posts · 266 votes
    4y

    @Basit Siddiqi the cost to establish and maintain a Solo 401k is far less than you mentioned. You may be a $1,000 to establish but there are plenty custodians where the annual fee is only $200-$300. No LLC is required for a Solo401k.

    If you are going to have $40k in your account within next 12 mos. it makes sense to open a Solo 401k now. The advantages of alternative investments far outweigh the added $1,000 to establish a Solo 401k sooner rather than waiting a year or two to accumulate funds. A person can purchase tax liens, make loans to private companies and make investments in traditional mutual funds until having sufficient funds to invest in RE.

    Many people lease property purchased to third party to avoid costs of maintenance.Taxes, insurance and maintenance can all be passed on to leasee in a triple net lease. If you want to control your own buying and selling of RE avoid RE syndications because of fees,costs and lack of control.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.