Turbo Tax with a rental property?

Turbo Tax with a rental property?

Investor · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 5 votes

Hello! 

I closed on my first rental property in the last few days of 2021 - it's a duplex in Ohio, and I live in California. So I've been told my taxes will be a little more complex this year. I've filed with Turbo Tax in the past and had a good experience, even with some freelance work in addition to my W-2, but I understand the out of state property will add some hurdles to the process.


Would love to hear from other real estate investors experiences with Turbo Tax when owning a property. I'm leaning toward continuing to use Turbo Tax, against the council of some of my friends who have hired someone to prepare their taxes for them. 

2Reply
34 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ben Nitka:

    Hello! 

    I closed on my first rental property in the last few days of 2021 - it's a duplex in Ohio, and I live in California. So I've been told my taxes will be a little more complex this year. I've filed with Turbo Tax in the past and had a good experience, even with some freelance work in addition to my W-2, but I understand the out of state property will add some hurdles to the process.


    Would love to hear from other real estate investors experiences with Turbo Tax when owning a property. I'm leaning toward continuing to use Turbo Tax, against the council of some of my friends who have hired someone to prepare their taxes for them. 


     You need a tax professional. 

  • Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ben Nitka:

    Hello! 

    I closed on my first rental property in the last few days of 2021 - it's a duplex in Ohio, and I live in California. So I've been told my taxes will be a little more complex this year. I've filed with Turbo Tax in the past and had a good experience, even with some freelance work in addition to my W-2, but I understand the out of state property will add some hurdles to the process.


    Would love to hear from other real estate investors experiences with Turbo Tax when owning a property. I'm leaning toward continuing to use Turbo Tax, against the council of some of my friends who have hired someone to prepare their taxes for them. 

    I'm in CA and own rentals in Ohio and use TurboTax. Never had a problem although occasionally input screens can be frustrating.

    I never owe tax to Ohio because of the business deduction, so it really ends up just being an information filing.
  • Rental Property Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2022 · 40 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    You can do it, but you will almost certainly be leaving money on the table. Turbo Tax is going to take the most conservative tax approach as they don't want anybody coming back to them saying they got the taxes wrong. A professional will most likely be able to more than pay for their fees in tax savings, plus save you time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2015 · 626 posts · 495 votes
    4y

    I highly recommend a CPA and not a tax preparer like the ones at the big box tax places.   Rental properties have different deductions than personal residences.  If you want to put TurboTax to the test, when you hire a tax professional, ask them to review the last 2 or 3 years of your taxes. If they identify additional deductions you were allowed, but didn't take, then you know your method wasn't effective.

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Ben Nitka

    I’m biased, but I would agree with the other posters. The other thing to keep in mind is that if you continues to scale in real estate, you’ll inevitably want to bring a CPA on to your team at some point, so it would be beneficial to get that relationship started earlier.

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.