Florida law for transferring ownership - need advice

Florida law for transferring ownership - need advice

Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 254 posts · 28 votes

Hello, can someone tell me what is the best way to transfer ownership of a property from a C corp to myself personally ?

I own 100% of the shares of the C corp. I own the property free and clear.

I understand about the tax implications, but right now just want to know the proper way to transfer ownership from the company to myself personally.

Just want to get some advice here before I speak to my attorney.

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

@Mary Joe ,

The capital gain tax would be 200k.

To meet being a qualified dividend: You must hold it for

*When counting the number of days the fund was held, include the day the fund was disposed of, but not the day it was acquired.

The holding period is as follows:

  • You must have held those shares of stock unhedged for at least 61 days out of the 121-day period that began 60 days before the ex-dividend date.
  • For certain preferred stock, the security must be held for 91 days out of the 181-day period beginning 90 days before the ex-dividend date.

Previous money taken from the corp would be dividends/ return of capital.

The rental income would go to the C-corp and if 60% or more of the gross income is from passive activities you run into Personal Holding Company rules.

If you plan to hold the property for a VERY long time. It may be better to convert to an S-corp.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Mary Joe:
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:
    Might get an appraisal in the as is condition, tell the appraiser that the reason for the value is for tax purposes, it may come in a little lower.
    My thinking was that putting it into an LLC avoids distributions to you and booked in the LLC as a contribution. You still have the corp tax and recapture of depreciation since you're changing the basis out of the corp but might save you some money. If it's no worth that much might take the hit and move on. :)

    @Bill Gulley

    Thanks Bill. I am trying to understand how to record the transaction if I am to put the property into an LLC.

    The LLC will be a separate entity that I will set up. So after transferring the property from the C corp to the LLC, my books will look like this?

    LLC's books after the transfer, assuming fair market value $100K:

    Asset (ie the property) = $100K
    Capital contribution or Investment from C corp = $100K

    C corp's books after the transfer will then show:

    Property = $0
    Investment in LLC = $100K?

    Say if I am to rent out the property, then the net rental income will flow back to the C corp ?

    I like the idea since this way the C corp will no longer have to distribute the property to me personally, and I no longer have to pay tax on the $100K dividend.

    I wonder if IRS will challenge such a transaction or if there are any other tax consequences I am not aware of?

    @Mary Joe ,

    Minor problem. Even if you contribute it to an LLC you will trigger the sale. So the C-corp would recognize a sale of the property.

    -Steven

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    I agree, I mentioned way up there as it was to avoid distributions, why I suggested an appraisal for tax purposes to set the value of the "sale" Steve mentioned. :)

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 254 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    @Steven Hamilton II

    @Bill Gulley THANK YOU so much guys, I always learn a lot here.

    One more question if I may, is it risky to use "market value" based on government property tax assessment as opposed to hiring an appraisal?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    I suggest an appraisal, which goes to book or market value. I know it costs more but you'll have a better justification and the appraised value for tax purposes will usually be lower than if done for a sale. :)

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Mary Joe:
    @Steven Hamilton II

    @Bill Gulley THANK YOU so much guys, I always learn a lot here.

    One more question if I may, is it risky to use "market value" based on government property tax assessment as opposed to hiring an appraisal?

    Appraisal or you could run into major issues come an audit.


    Always remember to cover yourself.

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 254 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Hi All, I finally have the property appraised.

    Can someone tell me what is the next step to transfer the property from my C corp to myself? I want to learn about the process as much as possible before contacting an attorney.

    I assume for my situation, a quit claim deed is all I need.

    I came across this link, is the process really as straight forward as it sounds?

    http://www.ehow.com/how_7486490_transfer-deed-property-florida.html

    "File the quitclaim deed (properly notarized) with the Florida county property appraiser's or tax collector's office. Take the completed quitclaim deed to the county recorder's office or the property appraiser's office. Speak with a clerk about filing the quitclaim deed. Pay the filing fee and submit it to the clerk. The Florida quitclaim deed is recorded by the county clerk and the property is transferred from the grantor to the grantee.


    Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_7486490_transfer-deed-property-florida.html#ixzz2oGzNaFsq"

    Are there any other steps I am missing to facilitate the ownership transfer?

    The posters here and my accountant have explained the tax consequences to me already and my accountant will take care of the taxes both at the C corp level and on my 1040, so now I just need to make sure the actual transfer of the ownership is done correctly.

    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    MJ

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley ,

    This was the thread I had mentioned to you I was looking for.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.