Tax Strategist and Accountants?

Tax Strategist and Accountants?

New to Real Estate · Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 4 votes

Hello all,

In summary, I am a new real-estate investor. I am working to close on my second property this year. My market is rentals in Philadelphia, by year end I will have two triplexes (6 units total). 

I am a high earning W2 employee and switching to independent contractor (hopefully earning more). 

Again, I am new to real-estate, so I am understanding that the passive income from investment properties starts off as somewhat minimal and is not going to make me rich overnight. But my understanding is also that there can be tremendous tax benefits / write offs when it comes to real-estate.

I am looking for more guidance from professionals on how to structure my investments and how I could potentially harness the power of depreciation and write-offs to legally save money on my active earned income. I know this is feasible (having to meet specific criteria) but I just do not know where to start. My hope is to continue investing heavily into properties and utilizing their tax benefits!

If anyone could refer me to a good tax strategist and accountant, or had any personal wisdom on this topic, I would love to discuss further!

2Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Denver McClurePro Member
Financial Advisor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 479 votes
2y

Hey Daniel, glad to see you've made the successful jump into RE! I highly suggest speaking with a CPA that understands all aspects of RE investing. You'll need a firm grasp on the tax-benefits and liquidity strategies to grow your portfolio more efficiently. 

I recommend reaching out to @Jeff Nash, he would be a great asset for you.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denver McClurePro Member
    Financial Advisor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 479 votes
    2y

    Hey Daniel, glad to see you've made the successful jump into RE! I highly suggest speaking with a CPA that understands all aspects of RE investing. You'll need a firm grasp on the tax-benefits and liquidity strategies to grow your portfolio more efficiently. 

    I recommend reaching out to @Jeff Nash, he would be a great asset for you.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    @Denver McClure thank you for the referral 

  • Accountant · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 552 votes
    2y

    Hey @Daniel H., 

    We as tax pro's are not allowed to promote ourselves directly due to BP's rules.

    To help you in your search: be sure to find an accountant that is willing to grow with you, and is not too high priced fee wise. Not to low either, you don't want to go with someone who is just focused on price as this is a quality of a not so great accountant. Accountants are in such demand, that the best are not even accepting clients half the time.

    The other problem I see often with accountants on here is that they specialize in larger investors, and have really high prices when you as a smaller investor do not need all the bells and whistles.

    Another thing I see is folks thinking they need to have a tax professional in their state. We as a firm have investors working with us who invest in rental properties all over the US for example big and small.

    Best of luck in your search!

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Be mindful that if you are doing business in Philadelphia(both as an independent contractor and as a person who has rentals), that you may be subject to Philadephia taxation.

    Philadelphia may require you to file and pay taxes on the BIRT(Business Income Receipts Tax) and the NPT(Net Profits Tax).

    I often find these forms to be missed by accountants not local to the tri-state area.

    Best of luck!

  • Investor · Philadelphia · Member since 2023 · 104 posts · 46 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Daniel H.:

    Hello all,

    In summary, I am a new real-estate investor. I am working to close on my second property this year. My market is rentals in Philadelphia, by year end I will have two triplexes (6 units total). 

    I am a high earning W2 employee and switching to independent contractor (hopefully earning more). 

    Again, I am new to real-estate, so I am understanding that the passive income from investment properties starts off as somewhat minimal and is not going to make me rich overnight. But my understanding is also that there can be tremendous tax benefits / write offs when it comes to real-estate.

    I am looking for more guidance from professionals on how to structure my investments and how I could potentially harness the power of depreciation and write-offs to legally save money on my active earned income. I know this is feasible (having to meet specific criteria) but I just do not know where to start. My hope is to continue investing heavily into properties and utilizing their tax benefits!

    If anyone could refer me to a good tax strategist and accountant, or had any personal wisdom on this topic, I would love to discuss further!


    Hi Daniel! 
    I just connected with a financial advisor/ CPA at a local meetup in King of Prussia. I will likely using his services for my personal finances. If you would like, i'd be happy to send you his contact to maybe see if his services are best for you. 

  • Nate MeekerBusiness Member
    Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 543 posts · 251 votes
    2y

    Congrats, @Daniel H.! I have a few clients in PA. As a W2 employee, your options are limited to the STR Loophole most likely. Some rare cases can W2 employees qualify as a real estate professional. At any rate, you can still grow a tax free rental portfolio and work towards achieving one of the statuses mentioned above to turn passive losses into active and start offsetting some of your other income.

    The CPA Realtor 569 Reviews
  • Accountant · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 552 votes
    2y

    Hey @Daniel H., 

    Congrats on getting into real estate investing! 

    As accountants on BP, we are not allowed to self-promote. To help you in your search: be sure to find an accountant that is willing to grow with you, and is not too high priced fee wise. Not to low either, you don't want to go with someone who is just focused on price as this is a quality of a not so great accountant. Accountants are in such demand, that the best are not even accepting clients half the time.

    The other problem I see often with accountants on here is that they specialize in larger investors, and have really high prices when you as a smaller investor do not need all the bells and whistles.

    Another thing I see is folks thinking they need to have a tax professional in their state. We as a firm have investors working with us who have rental properties all over the US big and small.

    Finding a real estate-focused tax professional and one who can help with advisory and grow with you would be my suggestion to focus your efforts on finding. Best of luck in your search!

  • New to Real Estate · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Pelc:
    Quote from @Daniel H.:

    Hello all,

    In summary, I am a new real-estate investor. I am working to close on my second property this year. My market is rentals in Philadelphia, by year end I will have two triplexes (6 units total). 

    I am a high earning W2 employee and switching to independent contractor (hopefully earning more). 

    Again, I am new to real-estate, so I am understanding that the passive income from investment properties starts off as somewhat minimal and is not going to make me rich overnight. But my understanding is also that there can be tremendous tax benefits / write offs when it comes to real-estate.

    I am looking for more guidance from professionals on how to structure my investments and how I could potentially harness the power of depreciation and write-offs to legally save money on my active earned income. I know this is feasible (having to meet specific criteria) but I just do not know where to start. My hope is to continue investing heavily into properties and utilizing their tax benefits!

    If anyone could refer me to a good tax strategist and accountant, or had any personal wisdom on this topic, I would love to discuss further!


    Hi Daniel! 
    I just connected with a financial advisor/ CPA at a local meetup in King of Prussia. I will likely using his services for my personal finances. If you would like, i'd be happy to send you his contact to maybe see if his services are best for you. 

    Hi Chris! I’m piggybacking off of this question and also looking for an RE friendly accountant. Would you mind sending me his info as well?  
  • Accountant · 100% Remote · Member since 2019 · 495 posts · 216 votes
    2y

    @Daniel H., I'll throw @Michael Plaks as a Real Estate Investing-savvy CPA in the mix if you're still searching!

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Max Emory:

    @Daniel H., I'll throw @Michael Plaks as a Real Estate Investing-savvy CPA in the mix if you're still searching!

    Thank you for throwing me, Max. :)   At least not under the bus.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.