Rental income and unemployment benefits

6 Replies

If I get laid off from my full time job, does anyone know if my rental income will interfere with getting weekly unemployment payments?

Do you have to claim the rental income when you call in each week or is it considered an investment so it's not earned income that you have to report?

Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?

Thanks in advance!
Erin

Erin,

I don't know if Indiana is any different from Oregon where I live. I was laid off from my job here and collected unemployment with UI knowing that I had rental income. They only count income from working for someone else and even encouraged us to start a business. We have both rental and business income which is not included in our income for Oregon's UE

Trying to remember what my own accountant said, but I believe that income earned from your rentals is only considered "passive income" like any other form of investment. But if you were fixing and flipping a property, THAT is considered earned income.

Promotion
Marko Rubel
ATTENTION INVESTORS
Get Deals 100% Funded – No Credit, No Banks, No Job Verification
New Unlimited Funding® program for investors: low-interest, without banks or shark lenders.
Check availability
Originally posted by @Erin Weiss :
If I get laid off from my full time job, does anyone know if my rental income will interfere with getting weekly unemployment payments?
Do you have to claim the rental income when you call in each week or is it considered an investment so it's not earned income that you have to report?

Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?

Thanks in advance! Erin

Erin,

It entirely depends upon your state. You will have to check and read the regulations. It varies by state.

Originally posted by @Erin Weiss :
@Steven Hamilton II Do you happen to know what the case is for Indiana? I have rental income and a side business income similar to @Harold Anderson 's situation above. I hope IN is like Oregon!

Honestly Erin,

That would be a question for Indiana.