Is it possible to write-off repair expenses on a sold home?

Is it possible to write-off repair expenses on a sold home?

Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 3 votes

Sold my home FSBO, the buyer wanted help paying for repair work needing to be done that came up on inspection report. This was not listed in our closing contract.

I don't mind splitting the cost of the repair by paying the contractor directly, but have tax concerns. Because this was not listed on the closing contract, it will look like I made more money from the sale than I actually did.

The sale closed on 4/29. I know I am in no way legally responsible to pay for the work to be done, but in the interest of being a decent human I agreed to pay some of the repair cost as long as there is a way to navigate the tax implications. Any tax experts know how or if it is possible to write off the repair cost? A lender told me I could have the contractor write me up a separate invoice for the amount I agreed to pay, and document well the address and reason for paying the repair costs, and then I could write it off. Hoping to gain some more information. 


Thanks!

0Reply
44 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 322 posts · 120 votes
    1y

    @Anthony Pollachioli You can probably try amend the closing document. But my suggestion would be not paying for the repairs. It does not make you less decent as a human being. These things should be handled before closing. There are a lot of chances for the buyer to ask for that credit but they choose to do it after closing. 
    What if you agreed to the repair cost and then buyer asks for something else?

    • Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 3 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Ying Tang:

      @Anthony Pollachioli You can probably try amend the closing document. But my suggestion would be not paying for the repairs. It does not make you less decent as a human being. These things should be handled before closing. There are a lot of chances for the buyer to ask for that credit but they choose to do it after closing. 
      What if you agreed to the repair cost and then buyer asks for something else?

      In that case, I would say no. I did tell the buyer prior to closing I would pay for some of the costs, but then the buyer basically rushed to the closing table. I was fine with rushing it, I wanted to sell as bad as she wanted to buy. But I agree it should have been added to the closing contract. She basically was unable to get a quote for repair soon enough before closing date to have the contract amended. I dont think there is anyway to have it amended once it is closed.
  • Glassboro, NJ · Member since 2025 · 37 posts · 13 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Anthony Pollachioli:

    Sold my home FSBO, the buyer wanted help paying for repair work needing to be done that came up on inspection report. This was not listed in our closing contract.

    I don't mind splitting the cost of the repair by paying the contractor directly, but have tax concerns. Because this was not listed on the closing contract, it will look like I made more money from the sale than I actually did.

    The sale closed on 4/29. I know I am in no way legally responsible to pay for the work to be done, but in the interest of being a decent human I agreed to pay some of the repair cost as long as there is a way to navigate the tax implications. Any tax experts know how or if it is possible to write off the repair cost? A lender told me I could have the contractor write me up a separate invoice for the amount I agreed to pay, and document well the address and reason for paying the repair costs, and then I could write it off. Hoping to gain some more information. 


    Thanks!


     Hey Anthony, 

    Since the sale has been closed, I would get an invoice for the work done and document the communication of the agreement to split the costs. You can then provide this information, along with the original closing document, to you accountant. Your accountant should then be able to make a manual adjustment in their tax software for this work.

    However, was this your primary home? If so, the repair expenses may make little difference in end anyway since you are allowed capital gains exclusion (250k single, 500k joint). 

    Hope that helps!

    • Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 3 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kevin Aumack:
      Quote from @Anthony Pollachioli:

      Sold my home FSBO, the buyer wanted help paying for repair work needing to be done that came up on inspection report. This was not listed in our closing contract.

      I don't mind splitting the cost of the repair by paying the contractor directly, but have tax concerns. Because this was not listed on the closing contract, it will look like I made more money from the sale than I actually did.

      The sale closed on 4/29. I know I am in no way legally responsible to pay for the work to be done, but in the interest of being a decent human I agreed to pay some of the repair cost as long as there is a way to navigate the tax implications. Any tax experts know how or if it is possible to write off the repair cost? A lender told me I could have the contractor write me up a separate invoice for the amount I agreed to pay, and document well the address and reason for paying the repair costs, and then I could write it off. Hoping to gain some more information. 


      Thanks!


       Hey Anthony, 

      Since the sale has been closed, I would get an invoice for the work done and document the communication of the agreement to split the costs. You can then provide this information, along with the original closing document, to you accountant. Your accountant should then be able to make a manual adjustment in their tax software for this work.

      However, was this your primary home? If so, the repair expenses may make little difference in end anyway since you are allowed capital gains exclusion (250k single, 500k joint). 

      Hope that helps!


       Yes actually this was my primary home. I didnt know about this exclusion, the home was sold for right around that amount also. So if filing single, I can write off 250k for the sale of a primary home?

    • Glassboro, NJ · Member since 2025 · 37 posts · 13 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Anthony Pollachioli:
      Quote from @Kevin Aumack:
      Quote from @Anthony Pollachioli:

      Sold my home FSBO, the buyer wanted help paying for repair work needing to be done that came up on inspection report. This was not listed in our closing contract.

      I don't mind splitting the cost of the repair by paying the contractor directly, but have tax concerns. Because this was not listed on the closing contract, it will look like I made more money from the sale than I actually did.

      The sale closed on 4/29. I know I am in no way legally responsible to pay for the work to be done, but in the interest of being a decent human I agreed to pay some of the repair cost as long as there is a way to navigate the tax implications. Any tax experts know how or if it is possible to write off the repair cost? A lender told me I could have the contractor write me up a separate invoice for the amount I agreed to pay, and document well the address and reason for paying the repair costs, and then I could write it off. Hoping to gain some more information. 


      Thanks!


       Hey Anthony, 

      Since the sale has been closed, I would get an invoice for the work done and document the communication of the agreement to split the costs. You can then provide this information, along with the original closing document, to you accountant. Your accountant should then be able to make a manual adjustment in their tax software for this work.

      However, was this your primary home? If so, the repair expenses may make little difference in end anyway since you are allowed capital gains exclusion (250k single, 500k joint). 

      Hope that helps!


       Yes actually this was my primary home. I didnt know about this exclusion, the home was sold for right around that amount also. So if filing single, I can write off 250k for the sale of a primary home?


       Yes you would be able to write that off. There are several rules (as always), but mainly if you lived in your house for 2 out of 5 years you're good to go! For simplicity, lets say you bought the house 20 years ago for 100k, now you sold for 250k, thats a 150k capital gains exclusion, which is well within the 250k limitation so you would have plenty of room and there would be no tax due on the sale. Most states follow this exclusion as well, but there may be some differences depending where you live.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Anthony Pollachioli Good on you for wanting to do right by the buyer, but you're correct to be cautious from a tax perspective. Since the repairs were not part of the closing statement, and you're paying post-sale, it’s not considered a selling expense and therefore not deductible from your capital gains by default.
    However, there’s still a path forward:
    If the work was clearly tied to the sale (i.e., part of negotiations due to the inspection), and you document it thoroughly including inspection report references, emails agreeing to the split, and a contractor invoice that lists the property address and repair purpose, your CPA may be able to treat it as a capital improvement or adjustment to basis, reducing your taxable gain.
    The cleanest approach would have been to list the seller-paid repairs on the closing disclosure or offer a credit at closing, which would have clearly reduced your net proceeds.
    Since that didn’t happen, you’ll need to provide strong supporting documentation and have your CPA make a reasonable case to the IRS if questioned.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • Jason MalabuteBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 903 votes
    1y

    If repairs were done after closing and not listed on the settlement statement, they generally aren’t deductible. But if they were part of the sale negotiations and well-documented (inspection reports, emails, contractor invoice), your CPA may be able to treat them as a basis adjustment to reduce your capital gain. Ideally, they should’ve been listed on the closing disclosure. Since they weren’t, strong documentation is key.

    Malabute & Company CPAs525 Reviews
  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    In addition to the above, maybe get something from the buyer that's signed to document the purpose of the repairs post close. For example, if they were going to threaten legal action against you, you could argue that it was a necessary cost to incur. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.