• Real Estate Investor
  • Bulverde, TX
Votes |
Texas Real Estate Attorney Prices

Dusty Warner
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Bulverde, TX
Posted Jun 2 2014, 11:23

I'm looking for a RE attorney in Texas for general legal advise, to help with contracts, and to possibly set up my LLC. I found one close to my house. I called and spoke with the receptionist today. The law firm charges $250/hr and to set up an LLC they charge a flat rate of $1500...... Im going to call a few more, but I was hoping to get some input from some of the BP'ers. I know I can set up an LLC myself, but should I have an attorney do it to ensure its structured properly?? $250/hr was pretty much what I was expecting, but the $1500 seems a little high.

Thanks,Dusty

User Stats

Votes
Wes Brumit
  • Homeowner
  • Longview, TX
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Longview, TX
Replied Jun 2 2014, 11:26

I used Legal Zoom when I set up my business (non real estate). Texas is pretty high cost compared to other states, I think its $350. LZ charged just a little more for their services. All total, I paid less than half of what you were quoted.

User Stats

Votes
Dusty Warner
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Bulverde, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Bulverde, TX
Replied Jun 2 2014, 23:55

Thanks Wes.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Steve B.
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Replied Jun 3 2014, 10:57

No need to spend 1500 to set up a simple llc. $250 an hour for RE Lawyer is in the typical range.

User Stats

Votes
Rocky V.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Jun 3 2014, 11:10

I'd recommend lonestarlandlaw.com. I used them for a series LLC formation. You may consider doing an LLC formation yourself

User Stats

Votes
Dusty Warner
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Bulverde, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Bulverde, TX
Replied Jun 3 2014, 11:19

roger that... thanks

User Stats

Votes
John Hixon
  • Investor
  • The Colony, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • The Colony, TX
Replied Jun 3 2014, 11:33

contact Anderson Advisors. They specialize in real estate. They are not located in Texas but are very good at what they do

User Stats

Votes
James Miller
  • Attorney
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Aug 16 2015, 17:24

Eeek. If you used Legal Zoom, you should have a lawyer review the paperwork on the formation. There's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all LLC. Especially a series LLC. Do you want to risk your liability shield being in place over a few hundred dollars?

DIY and budget lawyer solutions usually result in bare-bones certificate of formations, which may give you less (or no) protection as compared to a properly drafted certificate of formation. Every single document needs to be prepared as if you're going to be sued over them someday. 

Please, please, make sure you use an actual lawyer, not a non-lawyer service. And for God's sake, don't DIY your own LLC. Just because you can, does not mean you should.