Self Directed IRA working with a Owned Partnership

3 Replies

I am getting ready to roll over a sizable 401k into a self directed IRA to invest in real estate. Three questions:

1) What custodian company is the best if I want to do an IRA, LLC structure with checkbook control? Same question regarding a solo 401k for real estate.

2) Can I partner (as a lender) with my business LLC of which I am a 25% owner (the other three 25% owners are my wife brother and sister in law)? Also a factor to consider is we probably will be converting our company LLC to a S Corp by year end (and I will be a 50% owner along with my brother).

3) Can our company open a solo 401k for 2 of the 4 owners for our current LLC (or 2 of 2 owners post S Corp conversion)? My understanding is that a solo 401k is only for single member companies and not for partnership structures.

Thanks!

I can't comment question #1 because if self promotion rules.

#2 - You can partner your IRA/solo k with any person/entity but it's important that your plan funds to operate separately (side-by-side). For example, don't lend to your LLC. Instead, lend as a separate but affiliated party. That way there are never any disqualified persons issues that come up later.

#3 - solo(k) plans are really designed for individuals. Spouses are exempt under plan provisions but if you're going to have multiple people it gets difficult.

@Robert Leonard  , thanks for the mention! 

@Brandon Powell  , I would be glad to discuss your situation over the phone, the complexity of your questions are beyond the scope of this forum. Feel free to PM me.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here