Pro Member
  • Maryland
Votes |
Real estate licensing in Maryland for investments

Brentin Trent
Pro Member
  • Maryland
Posted Sep 25 2014, 08:21

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has done this or has any insight.

I am interested in obtaining a license as a real estate salesperson in the state of Maryland. This would be used to facilitate any investments that I may be interested in and allow me better access to the marketplace. I am currently working with an agent on finding a place, but I do not think he would be interested in working to find some of the investments I am looking for(sub 50k).

In the state of Maryland, licensing requires 60 hours of classroom time as well as the passing of a licensure exam. However, there is another stipulation I've read as follows, 

"All applicants need to submit with their application a written commitment from a licensed real estate broker stating that the salesperson applicant will be affiliated with the broker after becoming licensed."

So, the question is, how do I get that written commitment. Why would a real estate broker ever want to "sponsor" me if I am primarily in business for myself. Is this a case of needing to know someone, or is this something you can pay a few dollars for? I would assume a broker in sponsoring a sales person for licensing assumes some risk, is this true? Is it also true that you must work "under a broker", assuming that is true how can I make that arrangement work for me?

Lots of questions! Thanks in advance.

-Brian

Loading replies...