Converting traditional to a Roth

Converting traditional to a Roth

Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes

If you convert a rollover IRA to a Roth before April 15 which tax year is affected? Do you have a choice? Would like to be done with taxes to do tax planning and eventually move traditional into Roth on low income years.

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
11y

@Jeff S. 

when you convert traditional to Roth IRA you are taxed in the year of conversion. The cut-off date here is Dec. 31, not April 15th. So if you do the conversion prior to Dec. 31st you will have to declare the conversion amount as your taxable income in the year 2014. If you do the conversion after Jan. 1st 2015 - then it will count as taxable income in the year 2015 (regardless if you do this before or after April 15th).

Disclosure: I'm not a CPA and this is not a tax advise. 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    @Jeff S. 

    when you convert traditional to Roth IRA you are taxed in the year of conversion. The cut-off date here is Dec. 31, not April 15th. So if you do the conversion prior to Dec. 31st you will have to declare the conversion amount as your taxable income in the year 2014. If you do the conversion after Jan. 1st 2015 - then it will count as taxable income in the year 2015 (regardless if you do this before or after April 15th).

    Disclosure: I'm not a CPA and this is not a tax advise. 

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Ok thank you @Dmitriy Fomichenko. Working on some tax planning and have rollover funds plus traditional IRA's that may be  good candidates for a Roth.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    Your other option is to keep both the traditional and Roth.  Stop putting money into the traditional and max the Roth.  When you are retired you can decide where to take money from first depending on taxes at that time.  

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks @Bryan N. I am retired and with no earned income this year can't contribute. The lower income this year is a possible opportunity to convert some trditional IRA.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    @Jeff S. 

    That's a good problem to have.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Bryan N. can you elaborate a little about "cash is king". Wishing there was a little more income from cash.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    @Jeff S. 

    It's just a reminder to always have liquidity and not over leverage.  I used to have a lot of bad debt when I was younger.  About five years ago I had enough.  Today, I will only carry mortgages and only carry an amount that I can pay without affecting my lifestyle if the properties are vacant.  Once I hit $10K a month in rents I'll kill whatever mortgages are left.  If I can't pay cash for something I won't buy it (even vehicles).  Cash brings a certain level of comfort and security that I enjoy even if it's not making anything.  Any "cash" I have invested in the markets or real estate I do not consider cash.  

    Back in the good old days you could park cash in a money market and get an ok rate on it.  Some credit unions have CD's/Share Certificates that pay 3%, but beyond that your options are limited.  Online savings accounts pay more then brick and mortar banks.  Having cash/liquidity with no risk of loss brings security for us.  We sleep better at night. 

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Bryan N. When  everything goes up you look like an idiot with cash but when everything crashes you are a genius.

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    @Jeff S. 

    Bingo!!!  

  • Commercial Real Estate Agent · Sudbury, MA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Keep in mind - you have until tax filing time (including the extension to 10/15) to recharacterize any or all of the conversion. So, in my opinion, it's better to convert too much, then, while doing your taxes, decide how much to back out to get your taxable income exactly where you want it. 

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Frank M. so you are saying convert now and then you can change it after the first if needed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.