• Seattle, WA
Votes |
S-Corp vs C-Corp

Nghi Le
Pro Member
  • Investor / Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Feb 5 2015, 18:17

I've been talking to several investors, attorneys, and CPAs over the past 6 months about this, including Mark Kohler and Anderson Advisors (Clint Coons' company).  I have yet to choose who I want to go with as my attorney/CPA, and it really just depends on which strategy I ultimately like better.  But I just can't make a decision, so I thought I'd approach the masses.

I'm ultimately going with Mark Kohler or Anderson Advisors because they do both taxes and legal in one place.  Mark Kohler is a strong proponent of using the S-Corp as the primary entity for the real estate business, whereas Anderson Advisors says that a C-Corp would fit me better.

My situation:

• LLC was established last summer, but I haven't done any monetary business in its name yet (just created bank account)
  • LLC has two managers with 50/50 ownership (my fiancée and I)
  • I work full-time, fiancée works part-time and goes to grad school full-time
  • I'm currently finishing up my first rehab (held in my personal name); it should sell by April for a $30k profit
  • I have another property under contract (in the LLC's name) and will be closing on it next week. This project should close by September, aiming for a $100k-$150k profit
  • My fiancée and I will get married in August (not sure how this changes the structure of the LLC or corporation)
  • I want to deduct all of my real estate expenses (education, events, business meetings, mileage, memberships, etc.) totaling between $30k - $50k
  • I'd like to be able to deduct tuition expenses for myself (finished grad school June 2014) and my fiancée if possible
  • This year, I plan on using the profits to pay for the wedding, both school loans, credit cards, and a down payment on a house.  But in following years, I plan on just using the profits to reinvest.

I would love to hear any advice on which entity to choose (from both a tax and legal standpoint), when I should incorporate (I'm guessing before I close on my first rehab?), and if I should transform my LLC into the new corp or just create a new one.

Thank you in advance :-)

Loading replies...