CPA in Houston

5 Replies

Can anyone recommend a solid CPA that understands the real estate business in Houston? Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by @Brandon Hall :

Nicholas Broussard don't feel like you need to use someone local. Many of us have clients all over the US. We supplement meetings with Skype and other methods of communications.

Aren't the laws different in each state? I also thought that a CPA was only certified for the state that they registered in. Are CPS's allowed to practice in any state without meeting each states requirements? 

@Thomas Garza The state specific tax laws are different in each state, but on the federal level this is not the case. So as an investor, you can aim to minimize your federal taxes which will have about triple the impact on your bottom line, or you can aim to minimize state taxes. 

Aside from that, a CPA offering services in a non-local state will know that state's tax laws. By going local, you won't gain a *huge* advantage from a tax law standpoint. 

CPAs are licensed by state but aren't generally restricted from practicing in different states unless they are performing public accounting services (think audits). Conversely, attorneys need a license in the specific state in which they wish to practice. 

Medium logo blackBrandon Hall CPA, The Real Estate CPA | http://www.therealestatecpa.com | Podcast Guest on Show #196

@Brandon Hall

Thanks for the explanation! Goes to show that a little (very little) knowledge on a topic can lead you to inaccurate assumptions (talking about myself). 

Originally posted by @Thomas Garza :
Originally posted by @Brandon Hall:

Nicholas Broussard don't feel like you need to use someone local. Many of us have clients all over the US. We supplement meetings with Skype and other methods of communications.

Aren't the laws different in each state? I also thought that a CPA was only certified for the state that they registered in. Are CPS's allowed to practice in any state without meeting each states requirements? 

A CPA is licensed by the state but can prepare returns in each state. The only issue can be representation and recognition at state levels for audits or for financial statements.  

Whoever you hire should be educated on each state's tax laws or be smart enough to use the appropriate resources.

For an accountant do not feel like you need to use someone local. Many of us accountants have clients worldwide. Payroll, bookkeeping, etc can mostly be done remotely.

Here is a great list of questions to ask a potential accountant:http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/70447-questions-to-ask-a-cpa

Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.

If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.

For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.

So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.

Feel free to ask here if you have questions.

If you need a direct referral feel free to PM me as I have a name or two I can give out.

Medium hta logoSteven Hamilton II EA, Hamilton Tax and Accounting | [email protected] | (224) 381‑2660 | http://www.HamiltonTax.Net