Attorney Prices in North Carolina vs. Legal Zoom or online service

11 Replies

I am slowly building my network here in NC. What are people paying for Attorneys for things like contract reviews, deed transfers, etc.? 

What are you thoughts about using an online service like Legal Zoom?

Does anyone in NC (preferably the Winston Salem, Greensboro, High Point area aka Triad) suggest a specific Attorneys office?

I would price them out.  Legal Zoom, I think in most cases lets you ta;k to an attorney about a legal question concerning a document.  Some must be easy like a LLC perhaps

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

Hey @Melvin F. . I used legal zoom for my LLC registration but for anything else I generally prefer a little more tangible access to an attorney. Given you are looking for area specific lawyers I would suggest asking around at the next REIA that's always been a solid source for referrals (really of any type) for me. Good luck!

Hi @Melvin F. - I used Legal Zoom to setup my LLC and spoke to a local lawyer here (Hendersonville, NC). He said there is an active law suit against Legal Zoom in North Carolina stating the lawyers aren't really lawyers. However, the only details I can find are a case of Legal Zoom vs. NC State Bar and a case back in May of this year that was thrown out by a judge. In any case, both of the lawyers I spoke with disliked me using Legal Zoom to setup additional LLCs.

However, the lawyer I use in SC where I buy all of my rentals charges $210 for deed transfers, $600-800 closing costs (cash purchases) and around $600 to establish an LLC.

There you go you know the prices and the rest is up to you!!

Why would a lawyer want you to use an on  line service when that's his bussiness ??

Good points everyone. Thank you all for the feedback.

Likes like NC doesnt play well with others in the field of legal services according to this recent WSJ post...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/legalzoom-sues-carolina-state-bar-news-digest-1433720614

I know I'm late to this but, call Brian Elam at the Elam Law Firm in Greensboro. He is exceptional about taking time to answer your questions. He also sits on the board of the Triadreia. Tell him I referred you. 

You get what you pay for. I would not trust Legalzoom or any of its online equivalents. Good luck.
Originally posted by @Jay Johnson :

I know I'm late to this but, call Brian Elam at the Elam Law Firm in Greensboro. He is exceptional about taking time to answer your questions. He also sits on the board of the Triadreia. Tell him I referred you. 

Thanks! I'll give him a call!

No problem. Much success to you, Melvin!