Llc or partnership

3 Replies

I am looking at purchasing my first investment property but want to make sure all my tax and legal entities are in place My dad will be co-signing on this first loan from the bank so that I can get a better rate since I was discharged out of chapter 13 6 months ago. I am needing to know if I should setup a llc with both of us being members or would we benefit more by making it a partnership? We are looking at buy & hold & also some flips down the road should we come across a great deal where the numbers are right. I will be putting up cash on this first deal & do the renovating & we will put our profit back into the business

LLC . Most flexible. Taxed like a partnership. However, state laws differ, and some states tax LLCs . You need to find that out for your state.

It gets complicated with both family and a recently-concluded bankruptcy in the mix. Your CPA can advise you on the best structure and your lawyer can paper it for you. Good luck.

@Brent Delo , do an LLC or a Sub S Corp. No partnership unless you do a limited partnership and form companies to be the general partners. Absolutely no partnerships. It is my opinion that advising someone to form a partnership without corporate protection is malpractice. Good luck

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.