Cloud on Title - HELP! - Quite Title Action

5 Replies

I recently put together a wholesale deal. Yesterday, five days before the closing, the title company contacted me and said that there is an issue with the chain of title. Here's the story:

In 1965 person A sold the property, warranty deed, to person B, and his wife #1.

In 1968 person B and his new wife #2 sold the property to person C. 

I am attempting to put together the deal with person C and a new buyer.

The title company is telling me that they need written documentation that wife #1 either died during ownership or written documentation of wife #1's "elimination of interest". This is obviously from 40+ years ago, and this person has been long gone, and hasn't expressed interest in the property in almost a half-century. The title company told me that a copy of the original title policy would be sufficient as well, but that's no where to be found. I am really hoping that a court-sanctioned action for quiet title is not required.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated. The seller does have a lawyer involved but I haven't heard from him yet (it's the weekend). 

Here's the secret:

Ask the advisory title officer what you can offer to make them feel comfortable with underwriting the file.

This may be indemnification or a surety bond. 

Remember that title companies are in the business of selling insurance. Selling, as in 'someone wants to make a commission'. Insurance, as in 'We'll take your money and offer you an umbrella but we'll take us away when it rain. We want 0% risk.'

There are other title companies, too.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can work something out.

Deal got closed, no problems, by simply calling a few title companies and finding one that didn't think the cloud was truly a risk. Thanks Rick!

Awesome news.  Have commercial lot in Albuquerque coming to market soon with similar issues. Was told I needed to go to court to remove cloud before selling.

Great advice @Rick H.   I think this type of thinking applies to several arms of RE investing (e.g., finding conventional financing)

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.