Aaron Sauceda
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
401k / Self-Directed IRA Question

Aaron Sauceda
  • Austin, TX
Posted Apr 30 2016, 11:42

Hi All,

I'm a new investor located in Orange County, CA. With the usual caveats in mind -- i.e., this doesn't constitute legal advice / consult your CPA, attorney, etc. -- I wanted to get a sense for how experienced investors approach funding and taxes, and better understand how to leverage things such as a Self-Directed IRA to invest in real estate.

I have a W-2 job and was previously contributing to my Roth 401k. There's a relatively small, yet material, balance there now. Is there a cost-effective way to roll that over into an account that allows me to invest into real estate? Similarly, based on when I started, my company match begins on 1/1/2017. At that time, I will contribute the minimum to maximize my match. Is there a way to structure my accounts in order to utilize those funds, including the company match, to invest in real estate?

Lastly, as I'm starting my business, is there a way to reduce my overall tax liability? Are things such as Internet, cell phone, cable, gas and other items I'd use both personally and for business tax deductible to the extent I use them for my business? 

I understand I may be getting ahead of myself, but I'd like to be educated early on regarding funding and tax-related issues. Any tips to ensure I start on the right foot -- or at least start with the right frame of mind -- are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Aaron 

Loading replies...