Lowering property tax assessment?

Lowering property tax assessment?

Investor · Great Barrington, MA · Member since 2015 · 153 posts · 39 votes
Is there a general process for applying to lower my property tax assessment? I recently bought two MFHs for far lower than the assessment value and far lower than the sellers paid. Is this something that's locally determined? I asked my lawyer about it and got some convoluted answer about the assessment lagging a year or two behind values--how it's based on a year or two ago and not current or some malarkey like that. Is that true? What's been the general process from your perspective? Many thanks. Michael
0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    process is in favor of the state/city. always. 

    no lawyer wanted to take any of my 30 houses. they all said "seems about right". how they make money when they dont take any work.....i am not sure.

    i fought two cases. paid hundreds. barely got a reduction to cover the cost i spent. and that's just for 2 yrs... its going up in 2 yrs.

    you just have to suck it, like the rest of us.

  • Investor · Great Barrington, MA · Member since 2015 · 153 posts · 39 votes
    9y
    Interesting. Thanks George P. I guess I got the impression it was a common thing because everyone associated with the transaction was like "oh, just appeal that after you close." I suppose people will ebulliently tell you whatever you want to hear during a purchase. I'd appreciate hearing of cases where this did successfully work out and how you did it.
  • Investor · Great Barrington, MA · Member since 2015 · 153 posts · 39 votes
    9y
    Well that's rather discouraging.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.