Owner Finance - Installed payments Taxes or not

Owner Finance - Installed payments Taxes or not

Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 75 votes

Hello BP, I have a dilemma and would like your comments

As an example, I have a house that I purchased and renovate for all in cost of $60,000, then sold it owner finance for $100,000 with $10,000 down and finance $90,000 for 25 years @10% interest, 

My old CPA took the down-payment $10,000 as ordinary income, and the gain of the $40,000 note was spread it out for the next 25years, so at the end of each year I only paid  what I earned 

My new CPA is telling me the $40,000 note has to be paid as ordinary income of 35% the first year and every year after just pay interest income, and the other method was wrong. So I have to pay 35% on the $40,000 note, which is money I have not received 

So who is right?

0Reply
8 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jake HottenrottPro Member
    CPA · Belleville, IL · Member since 2014 · 255 posts · 269 votes
    9y

    @Hector Perez - It sounds like you need another new accountant.  The old CPA is right as long as he is using a standard amortization table to break out interest and principal and not just doing a straight $40,000/25 years for gain on top of the basis.  You might want to read this IRS Pub 537 and share it with your current CPA.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 75 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the information, I will read in to this @Jake Hottenrott

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.