Solo 401K checkbook - Local bank vs Fidelity brokerage

Solo 401K checkbook - Local bank vs Fidelity brokerage

Manheim, PA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I'm in the process of rolling over my existing 401k from an old employer into a new solo 401k through sense financial. The solo 401k trust is paid for and created but I need to complete the rollover. I have the option of using an online brokerage account like fidelity which will have checkbook control and the ability to invest in stocks and mutual funds along with a loan option. I also have the option of setting up the trust at a local bank.

Is there any benefit to opening a business checking account at my local bank in the name of my 401k trust and then transferring funds out of that account into an online brokerage?  Or should I just roll everything over to fidelity to keep it simple? I definitely want to have the account invested in mutual funds and stocks when it is not being used for investing in real estate and lending purposes.

If you have a solo 401k account I'm looking forward to hearing your advice. I am in the beginning stages of investing in real estate and the first step is to get my finances ready. Thanks!

0Reply
27 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • RE Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 119 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @James Stewart,

    I am in the same boat as you are. Getting ready to roll my old employers 401K over to a solo 401K out of Fidelity over to Wells Fargo because I have been banking with them for years and I don't want to use any of my funds for stocks or bonds any longer and strictly use my funds for RE.

  • Brian EastmanPro Member
    Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @James Stewart

    I'm sure the folks at Sense can share their guidance with you on this topic.

    A Fidelity account will be somewhat limited when it comes to actual banking services.  You get a checkbook.

    If you find you will want more robust banking services, then open a second account under the umbrella of the plan with a true bank.

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @James Stewart

    I agree with @Brian Eastman. Banks usually offer more features on checking accounts than brokerages do. Many (perhaps most) brokerage firms lack provisions for debit cards, certified funds options, wires to third parties, etc. All of this really depends on what you need in the account opened for your 401k, but there typically are advantages to having a bank account as opposed to just a brokerage account.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @James Stewart

    To my knowledge, the only one of the brokerage firms that will allow for cashier checks is Schwab and many of our clients go this route over Fidelity for that reason.

  • Manheim, PA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I appreciate the input. The state credit union that I belong to said that they could not open the account in an email. I'm not sure if this is true or they didn't want to understand what I was trying to do. I'm am going to try to find another local bank or credit union where I can talk to someone in person. Thanks!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @James Stewart

    Sometimes it best to show up in person with documents in hand and then bring your solo 401k provider on the phone for assistance. The solo 401k provider can talk the lingo to the banker. Also, see following banking guide. 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/3441/45149-solo-401k-bank-account-tips-self-directed-401k-bank-account-guide

  • Bernard ReiszPro Member
    CPA delivering RE Tax Tools: 1031 Exchange, SDIRA, 401(k), Cost Seg · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 581 posts · 563 votes
    8y

    @James Stewart

    You can have both types of accounts. When used to fund real estate deals, timing can impact results. Therefore, it may be advisable to have multiple options. If the banks that you use charge fees for having the accounts, you'll have to weigh the costs of maintaining the accounts against the benefits.

    A benefit of using a Schwab or Fidelity account, as opposed to a local bank is the segregation of 401(k) funds from personal funds. You'd like to prevent personal funds and 401(k) funds from being inadvertently mingled (beware of prohibited transactions). 

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Both the Fidelity and Schwab brokerage accounts also allow for outgoing wires.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.