• Real Estate Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
How do I get Rid of this thing ???

Dale M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Nov 23 2009, 08:05

I have a property that I owe more in back taxes than it is worth. I can't give it away, I've tried. Because of its location it has no value and with the taxes it makes it worse.
So, What do I do to get rid of it ???

User Stats

Votes
Dave Toelkes
  • Investor
  • Pawleys Island, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pawleys Island, SC
Replied Nov 29 2009, 12:31

if the property taxes are delinquent long enough, the county will seize your property and sell it for the back taxes.

Problem solved.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Wineinger
  • Real Estate Investor
  • ten mile, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • ten mile, TN
Replied Nov 29 2009, 12:49

That is as long as they choose to do this. Most counties will indeed do as indicated, but some choose not to do so and never have a tax sale. They just keep billing you and sueing you but never conduct a tax sale.

There is good news even in those situations is that there is also a time limit for the government to collect the taxes.
In TN here it is ten years. When the 11th year goes on the books the 1st year drops off. So if your property value has decreased recently (like most have) then make sure the appraisers assessment reflects that change and in a few years as lower taxes come on the bill and those higher previous years fall off then you might find yourself in an OK situation.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.