sold rental in Jan 2017 - taxes?

2 Replies

Hello to all. First, a little background............

I live in ID and this past Jan (2017) I sold an income rental property that was located in NV. I originally bought the house in Oct.2008 and paid cash ($98k), in full, by using a Home Owners ARM Equity loan set up from my primary residence (also in NV, at the time). I never used this house as a primary was bought strictly as an investment/income property.

When I sold the house this past January ($162k), I wasn't interested in re-investing the $ into another investment property as I think I have Landlord I never really pursued the 1031 exchange program (that's another whole batch of questions, lol).

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to help reduce/restructure my 2017 taxes to try and reduce the taxes on the financial "gains" for selling the property?

Btw, I also claimed depreciation each year (which I understand I will pay taxes on that also?).

I was hoping to find out that I could reduce my taxes if I parked the gained $ in some type of retirement account but it looks like that is probably just wishful thinking.

Depending on what I find out, I am also thinking of selling my other rental income property (also in NV) in 2018 as I'm trying to cut my financial ties to NV (long distance landlording is terrible).

If anyone has any thoughts, ideas or suggestions...they would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.  :)


@John Richards you're asking your questions on last January's sale about 10 months too late. I'd recommend getting to a real estate savvy tax professional and getting an estimate on what to expect for a tax bill this coming year. That tends to be the kind of news that doesn't get better by waiting.

S/he can also help you out with a tax strategy for your upcoming sale. 

Best of Luck with your real estate investing!

@John Richards ,

Too late for tax planning now, as @Paul Allen suggested.  The only thing you can do now is mitigate your capital gain due to appreciation.  If you have unrealized losses on other capital assets (maybe some stock market losses on paper that you are hoping will come back), you can sell those assets at a loss and use the loss to offset some or all of your capital gain.  Nothing you can do at this point about the tax on unrecaptured depreciation.