Does anyone have any recommendations for a good CPA in Columbus, OH?
Will PM you Zachary.
Hey Zach, @Daniel Hyman has been our CPA for two years now. He does everything online, which makes the process a lot quicker and easier - especially if you're organized! He's very knowledgeable and easy to work with, yet good at explaining things in a way that makes sense. Very experienced with real estate
There are many options of finding a local CPA with experience in real estate tax strategies.
1. Use the search function if a BP member previously was in search of a CPA. I like this approach because you can ask the posters who they ended up using and if they like working with them.
I went ahead and pulled up 5 posts of Columbus BP members asking for a CPA.
2. Attend local real estate investment networking events. You can use the Events section of BP or go on meetup.com for groups/events.
3. Find the big players in Columbus on BP.
Add the keywords "Columbus" and/or "Ohio" to the BP keyword alerts. You will notice that there are frequent posters who respond to topics with these keywords. Feel free to add these individuals to your network and ask who they use as a CPA.
4. If you are still unable to find a local CPA - Feel free to broaden your search by looking for a CPA that works with clients remotely. There are many CPA's on BP that do so.
In the meantime - feel free to ask any tax related questions. I would be glad to give my input.
Good luck on your search!
@bisit siddiqi my partner has been using a regular accountant in the past and likes him. He is not a CPA and does not specialize in real estate. Could we use him or do you recommend a CPA?
It depends - your tax advisor/CPA should be doing at least 3 things for you
- Provide you tax advice/strategies to help you minimize your taxes
- Save you time from having to research the new tax laws and the time it would take you to prepare your own return.
- provide you confidence that your return is accurately prepared.
It seems like you are happy with him but you are unsure if you might be getting all the legitimate right offs that you are entitled to. Depending on your tax profile - you may want to reach out to a couple CPA's to see you are missing some deductions you are entitled to.
Sorry if that didn't answer your question...it always depends.