Tenant has short term disability in TEXAS

2 Replies

Tenant has good rental history with me. Has had a condition that qualified them for short term disability. This gives them 60% of their salary through their employer. Am I required to reduce their rents? I have a good product and finding someone else, just a good, will be no issue.

IMO, No you don't have to nor would I say to reduce the rent.  Life happens, and you are a business not a charity. 

Originally posted by @Travis Buck :
Tenant has good rental history with me. Has had a condition that qualified them for short term disability. This gives them 60% of their salary through their employer.

Am I required to reduce their rents?

I have a good product and finding someone else, just a good, will be no issue.

There isn't any reason you would have to reduce the rent for a tenants short term disability.

I don't know if you would be allowed to qualify him on the reduced rent, if they have been a great tenant, why get rid of them?  Usually the short term rate is 60% tax free, so their take home pay shouldn't really change, and if it is short term disability, I would assume they would be back to work in the near future.

Plus, my guess is you couldn't legally get rid of someone based on a disability, its a protected class.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.