How to report fix and flip joint venture on taxes?

2 Replies

I entered a fix and flip deal with a partner 50/50. I have a LLC and he has a LLC, for this property we did not form another llc, just drew up a joint venture contract. My LLC bought the house 20k on 5/15/2017, we split purchase and rehab 50k 50/50, and sold the house on 2/1/2018 for 90k. 1. When I report this property on my balance sheet this yea 2017 do I report the full purchase price and the full rehab or just half? 2. When I report the sale of the property in 2018 since we don’t have a joint llc how do I report only 1/2 of the income came to me and 1/2 went to him? Just thought about this as I’m finalizing my 1065. Thank you for the help and insight!

@Wilson Jing

When you say "Just thought about this as I'm finalizing my 1065" are you referring to 1065 for a joint venture? or your LLC?If you LLC is SMLLC, you dont file 1065.

Usually, JV is treated as a partnership for tax purpose.

Looks like your joint venture is classified as a partnership. I am guessing you LLC is Single member LLC so disregarded for tax purpose.

Thus, the JV partnership would file a tax return (1065) and joint venture would give you both (not to your LLC because it is disregarded ) K-1s with your respective share of income that will be used to file your individual tax return.

Your JV will report an asset.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.