Votes
Vickie Bruce
  • Poolville, TX
Votes |
How to correct name on property so I dont have to pay higher tax

Vickie Bruce
  • Poolville, TX
Posted Mar 25 2018, 12:37

This seems like a tricky situation.  Back in the 80's my parents purchased 20 acres in Poolville, Tx.  When it was paid for they had the property put in mine and my sisters name.  At the time my sister and I were minors.  I suppose my parents did this for tax reasons but I am uncertain as to why.  My parents paid the taxes on the property and it was only in name that my sister and I were owners. In 2011 my dad passed away and my mom was having a hard time financially. As we discovered recently, since my moms passing in 2016, she had forged mine and my sisters names on documents to put the 1 acre of property that her house sits on into her name. We believe she did this to freeze her property tax payments and get the over 65 deduction.  Now that my mom has passed, my sister and I have had the property surveyed and are now paying for 50% each of the property taxes.  My problem is that my moms house sits on my 50% of the property, in her name and the taxes on that 1 acre is nearly 3 times what the rest of my portion costs.  She gets no deductions since she is deceased.  My question is how do I go about getting the house back into my name so I can claim ag or homestead exemption on it?  Do I need to prove that mine and my sisters names were forged?  I cant keep paying these expensive taxes with no exemptions.  Please help if you can.

Loading replies...