Tax questions when fixing and selling a house

1 Reply

Hi I have a couple of tax questions.

1. I sold my primary residence last year, where I've both lived and rented out half the house for the last few years. Let's say my house depreciates by $10000 every year, but since I only rent out half the house, I can only deduct $5000 each year. When I sell my house, does the basis decrease by $10000  or $5000 every year?
  2. I had to spend a few months fixing up the house before I sold it. From what I understand, the repair expenses get added back to house basis price. But what about other expenses while I was fixing up the place and not living there nor renting it out? For example HOA, utilities, home insurance. Can I add these to the basis as well, as part of renovation/repair expenses, or do I deduct them somehow?
  3. I also bought another property in 2017 with the intent to rent, but I had to fix up the place in 2017. From what I understand, the repair/renovation expenses gets added to the house basis price when I sell the place in the future. What about other expenses? For example mortgage interests, property taxes, utilities, insurance, etc, all of which I can fully deduct from rental income if I was renting the place out. But since I haven't rented out the place in 2017 is there a way to deduct them?

Thanks,

Ray

1. I sold my primary residence last year, where I've both lived and rented out half the house for the last few years. Let's say my house depreciates by $10000 every year, but since I only rent out half the house, I can only deduct $5000 each year. When I sell my house, does the basis decrease by $10000 or $5000 every year?

The adjusted basis is equal to original cost + improvements - Depreciation taken on your return.
    You can look at your prior year tax returns to see how much basis was taken.
    See Schedule E - Line 18 - Depreciation Expense or Depletion>
    You may be able to exclude all/portion of the sale of the house if you lived in the house for 2 out of the last 5 years.
  2. I had to spend a few months fixing up the house before I sold it. From what I understand, the repair expenses get added back to house basis price. But what about other expenses while I was fixing up the place and not living there nor renting it out? For example HOA, utilities, home insurance. Can I add these to the basis as well, as part of renovation/repair expenses, or do I deduct them somehow?

Normally improvements and repairs get added to the basis of the house aslong as you did not deduct them on your return when they were a rental property.
    Allowing you to deduct the expense and add the basis is double dipping.
    Please make sure to have all your receipts in a row when you do sell it.

Utilities, HOA fees, home insurance do not appear to be added to basis.
  3. I also bought another property in 2017 with the intent to rent, but I had to fix up the place in 2017. From what I understand, the repair/renovation expenses gets added to the house basis price when I sell the place in the future. What about other expenses? For example mortgage interests, property taxes, utilities, insurance, etc, all of which I can fully deduct from rental income if I was renting the place out. But since I haven't rented out the place in 2017 is there a way to deduct them?

Ultimately - how it gets reports on your tax return is intent. 
    If it was intended to be a flip - you hold onto all of the costs of the property until it is eventually sold.
    If it was intended to be a buy and hold - it may be reported differently on your return.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.