Standard deduction and rental properties

2 Replies

Can anyone shed light on how/if taking the standard deduction impacts rental property deductions? 

I run an unrelated business from home as a sole proprietor that will be impacted by the change, but my understanding is that we can still take all appropriate deductions on rental properties. We have self-manged properties in LLCs and in our own name. 

Originally posted by @Jamie Brayton :

Can anyone shed light on how/if taking the standard deduction impacts rental property deductions? 

I run an unrelated business from home as a sole proprietor that will be impacted by the change, but my understanding is that we can still take all appropriate deductions on rental properties. We have self-manged properties in LLCs and in our own name. 

SD has nothing to do with Rental or other business deduction. 

SD is only related to individual return, and you will get that no matter what, unless you itemize deduct in you personal return. 

So your rental expenses or business expense has no relationship with SD. 

This is helpful. I have a home daycare, which has really unique rules and makes personal/business deductions a little trickier, but thank you so much for clarifying how this impacts rental properties.