Can I roll a SDIRA funds BACK into my 401(k) in the same year?

Can I roll a SDIRA funds BACK into my 401(k) in the same year?

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 176 votes
Earlier this year, I setup an SDIRA and rolled a portion of my previous employer's 401(k) into it. Now, I'd like to roll a portion of that initial portion back to the 401(k). I've confirmed that I am able to do this, logistically speaking, but would like to know if there are any tax repercussions. Thanks.
0Reply
12 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian EastmanPro Member
    Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    There are no tax implications.  So long as funds are going directly from plan-to-plan, you can transfer back and forth with great flexibility.

    It is unusual for a former employer 401(k) to accept new inbound rollover funds, however.  They may be willing to do that as you state, but we don't typically see that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 176 votes
    8y

    @Brian Eastman Thanks for the feedback. And I agree with you about it being unusual for employers to allow rollovers back in. However, my previous employer has what I consider to be one of 'THE BEST' 401(k) programs out there. Not only can I roll into and out of the account, I can also contribute to it and take loans against it - just for being a former employee. Very fortunate. 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Larry, I'm just curious, how is it that you can contribute to a 401k if you are no longer working for the employer (contributions would come from salary, but there is no more salary for you at this employer)? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 176 votes
    8y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko I've spoken to several representatives with the plan administrator and they have all told me that I am able to make contributions back into the plan when discussing the benefits of the plan. However, we did not discuss this particular topic at length so I am not sure 100% sure on the exact details. 

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 136 posts · 48 votes
    8y
    @Larry Hawkins I'm curious about the return you are getting in your 401(k) and in your sdira. Why would you even want to go back to what I presume is a limited number of mutual funds? You should be able to access the very same funds through your IRA, no? These must be some good funds.
  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    8y

    @Joe Tomko, if is a large employer, chances are the funds are institutional share classes, which are almost always much lower expenses than retail funds.  

    @Account Closed, as others have said, it is very unusual that they would allow CONTRIBUTIONS back into the plan.  It’s likely they confused this with transfers/rollovers.  

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    Yes such transaction would not result in tax repercussions. Just make sure is done as direct-rollover instead of a 60 day rollover even though both methods would not result in a taxable event. The following IRS page is a good resource. 

    https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-particip...

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 176 votes
    8y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko @Mark S. I called my plan administrator today to re-confirm what I was told. I believe there was some confusion on my part initially. I've been informed that, while I am able to roll funds into the plan and take loans against the funds in the 401(k) account, I cannot make direct contributions. However, I can make contributions via a back-door rollover simply by contributing to my pre-tax IRA account and partially rolling those funds into the 401(k) account. .

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    If you take a loan from your former employer 401k plan, how are you making the loan payments since you no longer work for them?

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 176 votes
    8y

    @George Blower Custodian treats it like a normal loan since the payments are made with post-tax monies. I just send in a payment every month.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.