Votes
Chris Libby
  • Easley, SC
Votes |
Getting started investing using my retirement funds

Chris Libby
  • Easley, SC
Posted Sep 17 2018, 06:00

Hello - I've been looking to get started in the real estate investment business for a while now.  My goal is to create a cash-flow generating portfolio for my family and break free of the "corporate slavery" we deal with daily.  I have an idea on how to make this work initially but would like some insight.

We have a sizeable amount saved in my 401k from my previous employer, plus we each have a small pension from a couple closed out plans.  I would like to convert this into either a SDI or possibly 401(a) pension plan and use that plan to mortgage the investment - basically be my own bank.  The investment would be repaid using a standard mortgage promissory note at whatever interest rate is acceptable to generate income for the SDI/401(a), but the income from the property would be my cash flow.  This prevents me from losing a sizable portion of my 401k due to taxes if I cashed out now, and allows me to leverage money that is currently sitting in stocks/bonds/mutual funds.  I don't think I would throw all of this into real estate but instead stay diversified across the board.  

This seems like a smart plan on paper - but would this type of double-dipping be allowed by the IRS?  Can we bring other family members into the fold later if they wanted to get involved?

Loading replies...