Best type of LLC in Texas for REI

Best type of LLC in Texas for REI

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 5 votes

Hi, 

I'm looking to start my REI journey with some flipping and then transition into rentals. What TYPE of LLC should I form? Single member? Married? Series?

Thanks!

0Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian EastmanPro Member
    Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Ryan O'Donnell

    The right kind of LLC for any situation, is well, situational. Your business plan will drive the process. Best to discuss with an expert such as @Scott Smith.

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    From a tax perspective you will generally want to use different entities to do your flips versus your long-term rentals.  Depending on number of rentals and growth no entity but strong insurance might make sense initially for the long-term rentals.

    For flips an LLC with an S election might make sense depending on projected net taxable and reasonable compensation. Otherwise an LLC that is disregarded (SMLLC) or taxed as a partnership (MMLLC) might make sense initially.

    You'll want to have a conversation with your tax CPA/EA.

    There's a legal side that needs to be considered as well.

  • Scott SmithPro Member
    Attorney · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 932 votes
    7y

    @Ryan O'Donnell -- Welcome, first and foremost. It just so happens I have some info for you that was published when you asked this question!

    Thanks for the shout-out @Brian Eastman.  You rock.

    Ryan, you can see the articles on both the different types of LLCs and Series LLC vs. Traditional LLC at this link. Those should answer your very basic questions. And yes, I'm a HUGE evangelist of the Series LLC for real estate investors. If you'd like information on that, let me know what you need to know. It's truly the biggest innovation in asset protection that I'm aware of. And it makes running and growing your business easier/less expensive. I'm just a big fan. Of course, your situation might be unique. So read up on your options, and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

  • Attorney · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 372 posts · 176 votes
    7y

    Which LLCs I form typically depend on whether you want a single LLC or you desire the extra protection of multiple LLCs. If a single one, I tend to do a series LLC. If mutliple, I do a series LLC to own real estate, and a non-series LLC to act as an operations company that does not own anything substantial. If you're buying in cash, we can also do a third LLC to act as an asset stripping finance company.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.