Why do title company ask for marital status purchase through LLC?

6 Replies

I'm purchase a house through single member LLC. I'm just curious why title company still asking for my marital status

I assume it is because your spouse has a marital interest in your property as long as you are married in North Carolina.

@John Lee -- I'm curious as well. I've done a large number of deals in NC through my entity and have not been asked that. However, if you are asking if the closing attorney is asking about it...is that on their generic seller information sheet?

Originally posted by @Adam Schneider :

@John Lee -- I'm curious as well. I've done a large number of deals in NC through my entity and have not been asked that. However, if you are asking if the closing attorney is asking about it...is that on their generic seller information sheet?

turn out it's just mis communication between broker and title when i decide to change from my name to my llc 

In TX at  least, we have a concept of community property (from Spanish law) that means spouses typically own property jointly, even if only one spouse's name is on the title, for most assets acquired after date of marriage. (Numerous exceptions exist, this is just general rule). There are also laws that require both spouses to sign off on selling certain real estate, so title companies and lawyers want to know marital status. I'm sure there are similar things in other states.

In NC you only need one signature to purchase real property but two signatures to sell, if you are married.  So, if and when you go to sell the property your spouse will have to sign off on it.