Do I Need A Brokers License To Assign Lease Options?

Do I Need A Brokers License To Assign Lease Options?

Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes

I need your help with something and I’m having a hard time finding help at the local level. Some people say it’s legal, some say it’s not, some have ideas on how to make it legal, which I’ll love to here and will address later. I want to make sure my understanding of this potential legal issue is accurate and that I can collect as many viewpoints as possible to weigh what my next step may be, which might as well be just getting a brokers license. I was hoping to avoid this since I just want to get my feet wet without taking such a formal commitment, not to mention more time, energy, and expenses.

Getting a license seems to be the surest answer to avoid broker license issues. However, having anticipated this scenario and doing research studying contracts, I would need to have all of my contracts say something along the lines of “Even though I’m a licensed agent, I’m acting on my own behalf as a principle in the transaction and am not representing the buyer in any way”. Okay. Great. But why am I going to go through all the trouble of getting licensed when all the contracts I’ll be using state I’m not asking as a realtor but towards my own personal interest as a principle in the transaction. That line essential negates being a broker to begin with and then relies on the soundness of simply being a principle in the transaction, in which case, why even get a license to begin with, and simply rely on just being a principle in the transaction?

Basic question is this: Is it permissible for a person to market and assign a lease option contract which that person holds as a principle to buy a house without a brokers license?

License law states one does not need a license as long as one is a principle, so you would think the answer is clear cut, but is not. You’ll get different answers depending on who you ask.

What I’m trying to do. I want to assign lease options to a tenant buyer from a seller on a contract that is assignable and doesn't tie up the property (they can cancel anytime or find there own buyer). I do not have a brokers license at the moment.

Since I do not have a broker's license, I need to be a principle in the transaction, and the lease option memo agreement they sign makes me a principle. Having the right to buy a property makes me a principle in the transaction. This gives me the right to sell or market the property, the same way they have the right to sell the property FSBO. If this weren't possible, no one could sell their property without being on the deed free and clear. It is also assignable and says I have the right to charge a fee to assign the property.

More details. I’m only selling my option, my right to buy, I’m not closing the deal and my signature is not on the resident documents only the addendum. I should be in and out of the deal and won’t have to worry about responsibility or liability because I didn’t close the deal and my signature is not on the rental agreements and documents.

Points of consideration. Being a principle is enough. You don’t have to be on the deed because the Land Contract or Contract for Deed owners are also considered to be owners. The license law actually says that you become a principal when you sign the purchase agreement. You’re a principal in the transaction. What that means is that a purchase agreement or an option, which is what we’re doing here, makes you a principal in the transaction.

Is this legal or does it sound like I’m trying hard to find a way around the law?

Ways to stay legal

  1. Get an attorney to find a tenant buyer after getting your lease option memo signed with the seller.
  2. Close on lease option yourself, then assign it. (Normally, my signature wouldn’t be on 12 page resident documents/option/acknowledgment documents, only the tenants and sellers)

About the first way. If it turns out I need a license, I’ll still like to try putting some deals together but with the help of a licensed agent this time, ensuring there is no license law issues. I've read that it's a good idea to stay in control of finding the lease option sellers, so it might be a good idea just to get an agent to find a tenant buyer.

On the logistics of this arrangement, what role do they play? What if I already have a tenant buyer and just need an agent to close, but close what? It's all done at the kitchen table, right? Or, is the point not to look for a tenant buyer, but leave that part up entirely to the agent?

I’d love to hear your guys thoughts and ideas on this. Particularly, your take if its legal or if I need a license after all, despite other investors doing it everywhere apparently (this is so weird how ambiguous this is). Also, if there or any ways to ensure its legal.

Argument for needing a license.

  1. Using being a principle as an excuse to bypass license laws?
  2. Can you demonstrate intent and ability to close? However, we are dealing with lease options, so what would this mean? It’s an option to buy the house, not an obligation.
  3. Are you hindering or aiding the seller? This is a good thought to ask. In my case, the contract is not binding. It doesn’t tie the property up. They can get out of it anytime. I’m not recording the option. They can find there own tenant/seller, while I’m marketing. They wouldn’t have equity, so a realtor couldn’t help them anyways. I think the argument can be made I’m helping this people more than anything.
  4. The issue or marketing a property one does not own. Even having it written in contract, seller gives me the right to market the property, would not negate contract law which opposes this. I would need to market it carefully, marketing my contract only.

This post is long. If I don’t get any replies, I’ll try condensing it.

If I need to, I’ll pay for help on this matter.

2Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y

have you described your business model to your state department of real estate.. someone there should let you know if your doing a transaction that requires a license or not.

you can usually write out your business plan make a formal request in writing and they will let you know.. I am thinking thats the surest way for you to answer the above. 

my other question does not relate to licensure.. but how deep is this potential market.. does this stuff actaully exist in real life or real world.. or is it possible its a ton of time and effort for very little money ??? 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    have you described your business model to your state department of real estate.. someone there should let you know if your doing a transaction that requires a license or not.

    you can usually write out your business plan make a formal request in writing and they will let you know.. I am thinking thats the surest way for you to answer the above. 

    my other question does not relate to licensure.. but how deep is this potential market.. does this stuff actaully exist in real life or real world.. or is it possible its a ton of time and effort for very little money ??? 

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    I've already sent that email ;)

    There are far grander and better ways to make money in real estate for someone like you, as far as I can see, with as much experience and ability in real estate. This is a pulling oneself up from ones bootstraps approach to earning a bit of money without using capital, loans, or anyone else's money. I want to make money without money, then go onto fix and flips, buy and holds, new construction once I have a sustainable business model that generates capital for some more serious real estate investing.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    I've done a few of these as the Optionor and Optionee and never had a license.  I almost got one so I could manage for others but decided against it. I was getting 94% on the sample licensing tests so did know the material.

    Because there is no buy or sell (real property transfer) with LOs I don't see how it could require a license as long as you are marketing your position in the contract when trying to find the TB, not the property. But I'm no lawyer and each state has their own rules.

    I've had the LO and LOA strategies available in my toolbelt for a long time but haven't done one since the GRC. Like Jay mentions, they aren't that common anymore.  Pretty houses with low equity and a sudden seller is what ya need for lease options generally. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    @Steve Vaughan  most state codes do describe that selling or leasing requires a license but.. I dont know

    as to the OP just was wondering we all only have so much time and maybe concentrating on something that has such a small chance of working is not the best use of your time ,, vis a vi the market for those or the sellers willing to do them and buyers willing to step in might be super small.. also you do have collection issues with any rentals .. but anyway just a thought..

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Steve Vaughan  most state codes do describe that selling or leasing requires a license but.. I dont know

    The way I did them nothing was being sold and I was sub-leasing or assigning my right to lease but I see how it can be a gray area.  

     If I'm only obtaining a lease (with the right to sublease) and an Option to buy with the right to assign or be assumed, I don't see how that would require a license.  But the point is pretty moot with how infrequently I run across these anyway, like you're saying.  

    Getting licensed didn't seem like that big of a deal when I almost got mine in '11. I'd probably get licensed if doing all over again.

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    There's only one way to know how viable this strategy will be in my area, and that is to do it. As far as no money down starter strategies, this one is solid, at least in theory.  For instance,  it'll be easier to LO than convince a seller to sell their property for for 60% MKV then wholesale it. I already have months of time setting up a website, multiple autoresponder mail lists, and a few other ways to automate things, so I'm already invested in this strategy and won't be entertaining any other strategies until I see for myself if this one pans.

    With LO, it's all about marketing, in short.

    @Steve Vaughan Indeed, you bring up another point. No one is really closing these deals, they are options and leases. A closer may or may not happen in the future. This issue is quite ambiguous, especially finding people with experience. I've talked to attorneys who said I need a brokers license, then 10 minutes into the conversation I find myself having to explain what a lease option is, then explain how realtors don't get involved in rentals (correct me if I'm wrong). So it's hard to rely on attorneys advice on the matter when they don't understand what I'm trying to do.

    I need information, correct information. And that is apparently hard to come by. Presumably, I need to find an attorney with experience in this exact matters within my state. My next step is inquire at local reai for attorney referrals. I'm also waiting on an email directly from the TN Realtors Commission. They should let me know one way or the other. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tim Ivory:

    There's only one way to know how viable this strategy will be in my area, and that is to do it. As far as no money down starter strategies, this one is solid, at least in theory.  For instance,  it'll be easier to LO than convince a seller to sell their property for for 60% MKV then wholesale it. I already have months of time setting up a website, multiple autoresponder mail lists, and a few other ways to automate things, so I'm already invested in this strategy and won't be entertaining any other strategies until I see for myself if this one pans.

    With LO, it's all about marketing, in short.

    @Steve Vaughan Indeed, you bring up another point. This issue is quite ambiguous I've talked to attorneys who said I need a brokers license, then 10 minutes into the conversation I have to explain what a lease option is, then explain how realtors don't get involved in rentals (correct me if I'm wrong). 

    I need information, correct information. And that is apparently hard to come by. Presumably, I need to find an attorney with experience in this exact matters within my state. My next step is inquire at local reai for attorney referrals. I'm also waiting on an email directly from the TN Realtors Commission. They should let me know one way or the other. 

     the information from the state is free and if they bless it you put that in your file and off you go.. !!  

    think about this..  for a no money up front and make money.. instead of trying to hunt these deals down just get your license and be a leasing agent.. all the turn key companies will pay a leasing agent at least most will.

    One of my vendors in Indy that exactly how he manages the 1000 plus homes he manages.. every Tuesday about 5 to 7 independent agents who specialize in leasing show up for the meeting he hands out the vacant homes.. the landlord pays a leasing fee to him and he pays you the agent.. and many of these guys will make a couple grand a week doing this..  they then run craigs list adds and put a sign in the yard they go show the house get them leased and make there fee and on they go.. 

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Good Thought Jay. If I had to choose, a leasing agent would be the way I'd go :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    @Tim Ivory Realtors work on leases. So, you are wrong on that point. Just look in Zillow for 2 minutes to see homes and apartments for rent on the MLS. That being said, You are essentially doing arbitrage on options. The value of the option arbitrage is hoping the property appreciates in value more than the face value of the original locked in price. If it doesn’t, then the option becomes worthless. In a market with flat to falling prices, you can get caught on the wrong side of locking in properties at current prices since that option money goes out the window... If the property does increase in value, then someone might want to buy the option off of you. But if you hold the option, you would stand to make more money executing the option on a appreciating property rather than selling an option.
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tim Ivory:

    @Steve Vaughan Indeed, you bring up another point. No one is really closing these deals, they are options and leases. A closer may or may not happen in the future. This issue is quite ambiguous, especially finding people with experience. I've talked to attorneys who said I need a brokers license, then 10 minutes into the conversation I find myself having to explain what a lease option is, then explain how realtors don't get involved in rentals (correct me if I'm wrong). So it's hard to rely on attorneys advice on the matter when they don't understand what I'm trying to do.

    I need information, correct information. And that is apparently hard to come by. Presumably, I need to find an attorney with experience in this exact matters within my state. My next step is inquire at local reai for attorney referrals. I'm also waiting on an email directly from the TN Realtors Commission. They should let me know one way or the other. 

     It's obviously ok to obtain an option to buy someone elses property without a license.  It's also ok if that option is assignable to or assumable by another. 

    The problem is leasing out a property you don't own.  That does require a license unless you are on the lease and sub-leasing.  Can't act as an agent or PM for another, period.

    The cleanest way I see is to straight assign an option (LOA] or sandwich sublease the lease part (SLO).  An SLO will have you as the lessee, responsible for the property and TB the whole term, but you can sublease without a license provided you have the right to do so in the lease itself.   

    Whether or not a novice with limited capital should ever do an SLO is another matter altogether, but that's the only way I see to be legal but not licensed. Explain it this way to a competent legal pro.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tim Ivory:

    Good Thought Jay. If I had to choose, a leasing agent would be the way I'd go :)

     for the guys in INDY its a no brainier the inventory is handed to them every week.  they have one job  find a qualified tenat and put them in the house.. get paid. end of their responsibility. you start sandwich things and all of a sudden you have money coming in. and your suppose to pay on your lease but your sandwich does not come through what are you going to do.. this can lead to a financial house of cards.. people dont pay rent.. or lease payments that's a given. most do but some don't.. what are you going to do when you have defaults but you owe the underlying ?? or you assign your position to some one who just flat rips the rents.. ??? lots can go wrong with that strategy.. but it looks good on paper i understand.

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    One of the reasons why I like assigning LO as a strategy is because I can get in and out of the deal with minimum risk. At this early stage (not even begun yet) I want to avoid the pressure/anxiety of having to worry about making any type of rental payments if my LO tenant buyer can't pay. This is the same reason I would probably pass on a sub 2 deal as well, atleast until I have a sustainable source of income I can rely on for the unexpected. I'd probably just get a potential subject to deal under contract as a Land Contract then assign this to another investor. Anywho, I digress on subject to's. 

    Not to mention, not being sure I have the wherewithal to pull of SLO as already being mentioned. It's not so much the understanding of the concepts, but my ability to communicate what I'm doing to the right or wrong people could be an issue. Could cause misunderstandings and get sued or something, even though in principle, it's legal. Until more experience, and I have the "words in my mouth" will skip the SLO.

    Thanks guys,  learning lots here, Every viewpoint is helpful.

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Christopher Phillips We are talking about lease options, not regular options, which are interesting in their own right. Appreciation has little to do with the strategy, unless counting artificial appreciation by finding a tenant buyer willing to pay more than market value due to the favorable terms we are offering. In theory, one can lease option a property that is underwater by 100K, so it would be 100K over MKV. The tenant probably won't buy, but as long as the rent is market value, they are fine with it.

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Steve Vaughan Thanks. It's the first time I'm hearing the issue about needing a license since I'm leasing it out. I wasn't aware I was "leasing it out". So, you are saying, assigning my right to lease option a property counts as me leasing it out and this is what some agents or property managers do? Do they assign lease options the way we are doing it here? When they do, are they acting as a principle, like we are doing?

    Please, if you can expand on what you said in any way or provide an external resource, I'd be immensely grateful.

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tim Ivory:

    @Christopher Phillips We are talking about lease options, not regular options, which are interesting in their own right. Appreciation has little to do with the strategy, unless counting artificial appreciation by finding a tenant buyer willing to pay more than market value due to the favorable terms we are offering. In theory, one can lease option a property that is underwater by 100K, so it would be 100K over MKV. The tenant probably won't buy, but as long as the rent is market value, they are fine with it.

     Seriously, dude.

    I know you're talking about lease options. Option is an option. It's an option to buy at a locked in price at a future date. They are only worth buying from someone if they're in the money. If the price of the house falls below the option's price then they aren't worth anything. If the value of the home goes up, you only sell the option if want to make a few dollars while someone else is making money off the appreciation of the property, which also doesn't make sense for the option holder.

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    You have my apologies, Chris. Now I get what your saying. Very good point, indeed. 

    In the rental agreement contract I have that the seller and new tenant buyer sign, this future projected inflation is actually built into the contract. So, a 100K property can be bought at year 1 for 100K, year 2 at 105K, year 3 at 110K. Of course, this may or may not be inline with the market value at the time, in which case it would absolutely be in the tenant buyers best monetary interest not to buy. It also works on the flipside though, what if it appreciates more than the contract states, then the owner is locked in and it would be a good idea to buy.

    Whether the tenant buyer actually exercises the contract isn't really my concern, however. If they do, great for the seller. I'm happy for them. If not, and the option expires, I'd be happy to find them another tenant buyer. The statistics are pretty clear. They most likely won't be buying before the options expires.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tim Ivory:

    You have my apologies, Chris. Now I get what your saying. Very good point, indeed. 

    In the rental agreement contract I have that the seller and new tenant buyer sign, this future projected inflation is actually built into the contract. So, a 100K property can be bought at year 1 for 100K, year 2 at 105K, year 3 at 110K. Of course, this may or may not be inline with the market value at the time, in which case it would absolutely be in the tenant buyers best monetary interest not to buy. It also works on the flipside though, what if it appreciates more than the contract states, then the owner is locked in and it would be a good idea to buy.

    Whether the tenant buyer actually exercises the contract isn't really my concern, however. If they do, great for the seller. I'm happy for them. If not, and the option expires, I'd be happy to find them another tenant buyer. The statistics are pretty clear. They most likely won't be buying before the options expires.

     I come back to my thought process of what seller is going to find value in this. ??? how much time effort marketing money are you going to put into trying to find a seller that is going to lease option a house to you knowing your not moving in.. and why would a new lessor pay you a premium.. the only way this works is distressed assets.. or something like that.. the market were its at in the sub 150k range houses are just sold for cash.. no need to lease them unless your in the rental business..  At least that's what I am wondering how realistic is it that your going to spend all this time and effort only to find out sellers are not going to play and no one is going to pay a premium just because you have a lease option on a house  ( unless your putting in folks that would not qualifty in the first place thereby jepordizing the seller).. Just sayin

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Jay, I anticipate the LO sellers to need to sell but not have any equity in the property to list with an agent. I have a marketing system in place that can find a qualified tenant faster than they could themselves. If I can find a tenant buyer even one month faster, I already save then 1-1.5K. I'm not getting rich, and they are not getting a big down payment, but it solves their problem by getting someone else to pay the mortgage and maintain the property for them.

    If anyone happens to know where I can find everything I need to know about license laws in TN, I'd love to know. It's confusing on the site, will probably need to wait until tomorrow to ask someone where to locate it. This ambiguity is concerning, so I'll just read for myself exactly what the license laws say on this matter. Hopefully, that should clear things up and I needn't be so needy or reliant on an attorney for answers (if I could find one familiar with LOA).

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Tim Ivory In one of your earlier posts you mention not wanting to use your own money or anyone else's money to do this.  I am with @Jay Hinrichs on this one.  I am wondering if all of the work is really worth it or if there is another way that may be more profitable?  

    For instance, we do use other people's money (banks, private money loans, business lines of credit, HELOCs, credit cards, etc.) to do lease options and it has been pretty profitable for us.  Here is an example of some numbers on a house that we just closed on this past Friday in a rural town outside of Tucson, AZ.

    Purchased with private money lender who lent 48k, included the purchase of 42k, plus rehab and holding costs.

    Purchase 42k

    Rehab and holding 6k

    ARV 60k

    Lease option fee of 4k

    Loan 45k

    Closing costs 2k

    Total into the property 2k

    Rents out at 800

    Our cash flow $375

    Profit at close in 4 years is estimated at $27,600

    Total profit over 4 years is estimated at $43,700

    If you have a good credit score and a good relationship with some local banks then this type of deal should be available to you in your market.  The work is probably about the same but you don't really have to worry about the concerns mentioned above and you will probably make a lot more profit.

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Shiloh Lundahl This is one of those grander ways to make money in real estate I refereed to earlier. After gaining  more experience, I will of course want to leverage credit and private money. It's a matter of personal comfort zone, and maybe a bit of  'philosophy'. Even though putting these deals together with financing is "easier", that doesn't mean I should do it at this point in time. There is risk, pressure and the anxiety that comes with it. It's about quality of life. I want to enjoy and try to have fun building a business model that is scalable and automatable without having loans in my name, so no risk w h a t s o e v e r.  That is the point. Once this business is automated and I've accumulated enough capital for other investments, I'll couple that with OPM.

    In short, loans coupled with experience is powerful, but I feel they have the potential to hinder me at this early stage.

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    I don't see anywhere on the TN real estate commission website where it says anything remotely that even though I am a principle in the transaction, I would need a brokers license if I'm a collecting a fee. Instead, it was very easy to find the exemption of not needing a brokers license as long as one is an owner. One does not need to be a broker to buy real estate for oneself or to sell one's own property. 

    See below, the law as it's written. If anyone has supporting evidence against this assertion, I'd love to hear it. For instance, anywhere where it says being a principle does not make one an owner, or something along those lines.

    It is unlawful for any person, directly or indirectly, to engage in or conduct, to advertise or claim to be engaging in or conducting the business, or acting in the capacity of a real estate broker, affiliate broker, time-share salesperson or acquisition agent, as defined in § 62-13-102, within this state, without first obtaining a license as broker, affiliate broker, time-share salesperson or acquisition agent, as provided in this chapter, unless exempted from obtaining a license under § 62-13-104. No person shall be permitted to hold, at the same time, an active time-share salesperson license and an active acquisition agent license.

    62-13-104. Exemptions -- Firm licenses for vacation lodging services.

    (a) (1) This chapter does not apply to:

    (A) An owner of real estate with respect to property owned or leased by such person;

    (B) An attorney-in-fact under a duly executed and recorded power of attorney from the owner or lessor;

    (C) The services rendered by an attorney at law in the performance of duties as an attorney at law;

    ...

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tim Ivory:

    I don't see anywhere on the TN real estate commission website where it says anything remotely that even though I am a principle in the transaction, I would need a brokers license if I'm a collecting a fee. Instead, it was very easy to find the exemption of not needing a brokers license as long as one is an owner. One does not need to be a broker to buy real estate for oneself or to sell one's own property. 

    See below, the law as it's written. If anyone has supporting evidence against this assertion, I'd love to hear it. For instance, anywhere where it says being a principle does not make one an owner, or something along those lines.

    It is unlawful for any person, directly or indirectly, to engage in or conduct, to advertise or claim to be engaging in or conducting the business, or acting in the capacity of a real estate broker, affiliate broker, time-share salesperson or acquisition agent, as defined in § 62-13-102, within this state, without first obtaining a license as broker, affiliate broker, time-share salesperson or acquisition agent, as provided in this chapter, unless exempted from obtaining a license under § 62-13-104. No person shall be permitted to hold, at the same time, an active time-share salesperson license and an active acquisition agent license.

    62-13-104. Exemptions -- Firm licenses for vacation lodging services.

    (a) (1) This chapter does not apply to:

    (A) An owner of real estate with respect to property owned or leased by such person;

    (B) An attorney-in-fact under a duly executed and recorded power of attorney from the owner or lessor;

    (C) The services rendered by an attorney at law in the performance of duties as an attorney at law;

    ...

     Ok now U have the path how are you going to get sellers to lease you a property??  Most sellers will treat you like a tenant they will want first and last and security deposit.. and fico scores etc.. and I would think very few would go for the Hey I just want to lease it so I can release it to some you don't know or cannot vette and I just walk away.. I just got to think that's a hard sell for any seller who has any modicum of real estate sense..  ???  am I missing something. 

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    I'm upfront and tell them exactly what I'm doing, how it benefits them and all of the risks involved and ways to minimize the risk/effort, like getting a property manager etc. I'm also working with a local mortgage broker in case some of the tenant buyers have specific questions or are overly concerned with making sure the lease option fee will apply towards a downpayment, and other concerns like this. Furthermore, I have a autoresponder newsletter set up to inform them how to qualify and already have a step by step, itemized process, qualifying TB and closing the deal as a whole, which is actually done at the kitchen table to speak. I already had an attorney look at the contracts and documents I'll be using. (Actually, this meeting is what set up this concern of needing a license to begin with, hence this thread).

    I tell the owner, flat out the chances are unlikely they'll buy, but if they do, it's a happy day. Atleast they are solving there main issue of getting someone else to pay there mortgage for them and not have to worry about maintaining the property. 

    I've been preparing for a while the backend things to facilitate these deals. The most important part is to actually get good at talking with these people. I anticipate this to be the biggest hurdle and where I will have the most opportunity to learn and grow. I'm prepared to sound like an idiot while first getting started, and will give it 4 months with atleast 2 hours a day. I also have a website set up I can refer interested parties to. This is a key element of the process, where they can learn all they need to about there options and choose the best one, which may or may not be a LO. Like I said, it really is all about marketing, a website and an adaptive autoresponder is the way to go, and this is what took the majority of my time setting up.

    There is way too much to go into detail here, but I can refer you to some good reads if you are interested. They would explain way better than I could.

    On that note, I'm still waiting to hear directly from the TN real estate commission. My previous email got forwarded to a licensing specialists. If it turns out I need a brokers license, I'll be interested to see where in the books in says this. Your idea of earning commission didn't actually sound so bad, but it might have to weight for awhile. There are pro and cons of a license afterall, and at the moment, I'd err on the side of caution. As soon as I need constant MLS access, it would become to make much more sense.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    OK just to play devils advocate.. you do this.. you lease it in your name. and then you assign that lease to someone else.. is there a document that the owner signs releasing you from liability to the lease ??  IE when the person your leasing it to or assigning it fails and the owner now has to evict.. you don't want to still be liable.  And if you have no liability this just seems like a scheme to circumvent license laws.. because really all your doing is making a fee brining two parties together. it may not be black and white .. but I can see some potential problems with this if  and that's a big IF you get into some sort of situation were who ever you lease it to trash's the house and the seller takes a major hit.. 

    For sure you would need a release of your lease to the seller and a hold harmless etc.. other wise your going to be just like these kids I rescued in Oregon who did about 40 of these and when the end lessors started to fail and they will .. it was a house of cards and the sellers were very upset and started filing complaints at the AGs and suing these guys.. 

    lucky for them a good number of them had pretty good equity so I just cashed the seller out and took it all over.. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    keep in mind @Shiloh Lundahl Shilohs model is to take FULL ownership and then he can lease them out and make the delta and hopefully upside when the lessor's fulfil the contract..  but if the end lessors flakes out.. and again they will or do.. its just human nature with low down seller carry stuff.. Shiloh steps in rescues everyone then does it again but its his asset.. 

    my worry for you is exactly what happened as I said to these young investors in Oregon that drank the koolaid of how to build this up with no money and got themselves into a bunch of trouble.. people are nice going into these but boy your end lessor burrows in like a tic and your seller is going to blame you.. that's a given.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.