Taking Unit Owner That Damaged My Condo To Court

Taking Unit Owner That Damaged My Condo To Court

Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 2 votes

If a condo unit owner had a water leak that damaged my unit how do I take them to court? Can I do it myself to save on a attorney? If not how much approx would a attorney cost for this? Thanks 

0Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Best of luck to you in court.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 109 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    Have you tried filing a claim against their insurance first? What was the nature of the leak and the extent of the damage?

  • Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    It caused a ton of water damage and mold totaling 15k. I am trying to contact them now and hope they have liability insurance. I just want to be prepared if they don’t and I have to take them to court.

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Brad Warshaw

    From your other thread:

    "I bought a condo at the auction that has water damage and mold in excess of 15k to repair."

    You bought the condo knowing it had water and mold damage?

    Did you do your due diligence before buying?

  • Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    I clearly stated I bought at the auction. If you are familiar with the auctions you wouldn’t even have had to waste your time writing that. Thx

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Best of luck to you in court.

  • Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thank you

  • Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    7y

    Aren't most auctions "as is" purchases? Who would you have recourse against?

  • Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    The owner of the unit that has the leak that caused the damage. It is as is but this was damage from another unit and the leak is active.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Was the damage existing before you purchased? If so, then you have loss to sue for.

  • Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Yes it was there prior. Thanks 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.