New SFH Build - Minimizing Capitol Gains Upon Sale

New SFH Build - Minimizing Capitol Gains Upon Sale

Newark, OH · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 7 votes

I recently completed building a house for myself and I’m ready to sell while the market is still warm.

I can prove I’ve lived in it for 14 months.

I’m trying to be creative to minimize my owed capital gains tax upon sale. I do not want to live in the house until the 2 year period is up.

Here’s a couple ideas I have running through my mind:

1). From my understanding, I can write off any improvements to the home that I paid for. Roughly 30k to finish basement walkout area. Is this a legitimized write off? How much would that save me on capital gains?

2). Obtaining a maxed LTV HELOC. I could pull roughly 25k out. This was my main question, if I pull out a HELOC now and then sell the house after, is that money considered for Capital Gains tax since it's technically a debt?

Building costs $199,000

Appraised at $280,000

For simplicity sake, assuming 80k in taxable gain.

If anyone’s had experience/know of a similar situation I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Trey

0Reply
20 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Trey Read:

    I recently completed building a house for myself and I’m ready to sell while the market is still warm.

    I can prove I’ve lived in it for 14 months.

    I’m trying to be creative to minimize my owed capital gains tax upon sale. I do not want to live in the house until the 2 year period is up.

    Here’s a couple ideas I have running through my mind:

    1). From my understanding, I can write off any improvements to the home that I paid for. Roughly 30k to finish basement walkout area. Is this a legitimized write off? How much would that save me on capital gains?

    2). Obtaining a maxed LTV HELOC. I could pull roughly 25k out. This was my main question, if I pull out a HELOC now and then sell the house after, is that money considered for Capital Gains tax since it's technically a debt?

    Building costs $199,000

    Appraised at $280,000

    For simplicity sake, assuming 80k in taxable gain.

    If anyone’s had experience/know of a similar situation I would greatly appreciate the help.

    Thanks,

    Trey

     1) If the 30k is on top of the 199k building cost, then yes your basis in the house is 229k. So your taxable gain is 50k. Also, you might be misssing few grand of the cost that could be added to the basis. Talk to your professional on that.  

    2) Loan has nothing to do with the gain cal. So your strategy is not going to work. 

    3) You might qualify for partial exclusion(That might shelter your entire gain) if the reason for move is health, work, or unforeseen circumstances. Loud neighbor and disturbing neighbor are  some of them. 

    So if you structure the move correctly, you can defend your partial exclusion position. You would shelter up to 177k in gain ( 17/24 *250). 

    The 17 hopefully don’t not include the construction period.  

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.