Buying properties with an out of state LLC?

Buying properties with an out of state LLC?

Flipper/Rehabber · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I plan to create an llc to handle my investments, but I live in New York City and do not plan to do business here. At least not yet. I want to start out of state and build my way back to New York. I'm aware of the potential pitfalls and drawbacks as far as penalties go, as some states regard this as illegally doing business and I also don't want to file as a foreign llc. Any way I can do business as an llc out of state without penalties and hefty fees?

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Kareem Protain

"I also don't want to file as a foreign llc"

If you want to evict a tenant, I imagine you'll want to use that state's legal system to do it.

Generally, organize the LLC where the property is located. If you organize outside of that state, register in the state where the property is located as a foreign LLC. You're conducting business. Keep everything above board and don't save pennies only to pay dollars later.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    I work with many investors that have business entities in states other than where they reside. Some open LLC's in Nevada because there is some tax break (so I've heard). As long as there is a business entity to close with, that's what matters to me.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Kareem Protain

    Why don't you just file the LLC in the state that you plan to do business in.

    You may be required to have a registered agent in the state.

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Kareem Protain

    "I also don't want to file as a foreign llc"

    If you want to evict a tenant, I imagine you'll want to use that state's legal system to do it.

    Generally, organize the LLC where the property is located. If you organize outside of that state, register in the state where the property is located as a foreign LLC. You're conducting business. Keep everything above board and don't save pennies only to pay dollars later.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Then I suppose I'll go down the foreign LLC route since the states I have in mind require a registered agent.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.