Need Advice - unwinding a partnership and selling a property

Need Advice - unwinding a partnership and selling a property

Residential Real Estate Broker · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2011 · 114 posts · 38 votes

In 2005 I entered into a partnership with my brother and a couple of friends. We purchased a single family house to rent out. We (over)paid around $127,000 for the house. The property is titled in my brother's name, as is the mortgage on the property, with a current balance of $102,000. A few years back, as the partnership began to lose money, I bought out two of the partners. I now own about an 80% interest in the partnership.

I would like to buy out my brother's interest so that I can eventually either sell the house utilizing a 1031 exchange or re-finance the house at current low interest rates (I can qualify for a conventional mortgage). I don't want to sell the house out of the partnership and get stuck paying depreciation recapture. The house will sell for $130k - $135k.

In order to do a 1031 exchange or re-finance the house, I need it to be deeded in my name. Can I buy my brother's share of the partnership and then have the partnership deed the house over to me without triggering any tax consequences? Will the partnership (a general partnership, we never filed formation documents with the secretary of state) cease to exist if I buy out my brother's interest? Will there be some seasoning period required, or should I be able to re-fi right away if I acquire 100% of the partnership?

0Reply
25 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jon P.:
    Will the partnership (a general partnership, we never filed formation documents with the secretary of state) cease to exist if I buy out my brother's interest?

    I got lost as soon as I read that. So you do NOT have a formal partnership in any manner?

    You are not on the deed and you are not an owner of a company which owns the asset. How have you guys handled your tax implications in the last several years?

    You probably should speak to both an accountant and a local attorney. If the property is vested in the name of your brother, you are not an owner and you could trigger a sale when you try and take ownership. You can still likely drop the asset into a LLC or LP and then buy out your brother but your brother is still the mortgagor. Not sure if you had a plan for that.

    Either way go speak with some local folks before the spiderweb gets too complicated.

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Jon,

    Your best bet would be to open an LLC and before you buy out your brother's interest. This event will not be taxable; however, buying our your brother's share will trigger a sale on his end and will end the partnership. If it is in an LLC than the LLC will then become a single member LLC.

    You should refinance the property into your own name as the purchase from your brother. These should happen at the same time.

    -Steven the Tax Guy

    Your guide to IRS laws, rules and regulations.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2011 · 114 posts · 38 votes
    14y

    Steven, I think I follow you but perhaps there is a missing step. You said I need to form an LLC - don't I actually need to convert the existing partnership into an LLC (or form an LLC and then merge the partnership into it)? Then I purchase my brother's share of the entity, which would cause a tax event for him, but not for me?

    Dion, we have a partnership agreement, the partnership has a federal tax ID number, and we have filed partnership tax returns for the last 7 years. We did not file formation documents with the state, but I don't think that impacts my federal tax status in this case.

    Thank you both for your responses.

    -Jon

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Jon,

    Yes you will turn the Partnership into and LLC which will not be a taxable event as it will elect partnership status. Then you will purchase your brother's share. And yes that will be a taxable event for him.

    The fact you did not register with the state will not affect the federal tax status.

    -Steven the Tax Guy

  • Accountant · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2011 · 120 posts · 44 votes
    14y

    The partnership can certainly sell relinquished property held in the entity's name and then purchase like-kind replacement property to be held by the same entity and still qualify for 1031 Exchange treatment. So even if it is owned just by you or you and your brother, you can still do it in the name of the llc. Now if you need to refinance then you would need to deed it out of the LLC back into your name.

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Ebere,

    I'm pretty sure you missed his point of the question. He is not talking about finding replacements. He is talking about the tax ramifications of buying out his brother's interest in the partnership.

    -Steven the Tax Guy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.