Tax question on acquisition fee

7 Replies

I am in escrow on a commercial building for a value-add deal I am developing and will get an acquisition fee from the LP I am partnering with.  How is this acquisition fee classified tax-wise?  Is it ordinary income?  Or can it be classified as short term capital gains as I have not been in escrow for more than a year.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Originally posted by @John Kim :

I am in escrow on a commercial building for a value-add deal I am developing and will get an acquisition fee from the LP I am partnering with.  How is this acquisition fee classified tax-wise?  Is it ordinary income?  Or can it be classified as short term capital gains as I have not been in escrow for more than a year.

Any thoughts appreciated.

With the limited info you have provided, Its an ordinary income.

What do you think if this acquisition fee was restructured to be more like a capital gain, i.e. I sell some portion of the property to the LP instead?

@John Kim

Might be a way to structure it more tax efficiently...

How big of an acquisition fee are we talking about?

There is a cost-benefit involved.  I imagine you'll be paying more professional consulting fees if you want to structure it optimally.

Originally posted by @Eamonn McElroy :

@John Kim

Might be a way to structure it more tax efficiently...

How big of an acquisition fee are we talking about?

There is a cost-benefit involved.  I imagine you'll be paying more professional consulting fees if you want to structure it optimally.

200k.  I have some short term capital losses I'd like to offset and the taxes on this amount as ordinary income in my bracket will be hefty.

@John Kim

The tax rate on a short-term capital gain is the exact same as ordinary income.

What you're really worried about is SE taxes.

It's unlikely that this will be capital gain treatment.  Maybe a special allocation via a waterfall allocation schedule if this rises to the level of a partnership.  Not enough info here to tell...

Originally posted by @Eamonn McElroy :

@John Kim

The tax rate on a short-term capital gain is the exact same as ordinary income.

What you're really worried about is SE taxes.

It's unlikely that this will be capital gain treatment.  Maybe a special allocation via a waterfall allocation schedule if this rises to the level of a partnership.  Not enough info here to tell...

That's what I'm curious about whether this fee could turn into a special allocation.  The short term capital loss is from stocks and hoping to offset that with this gain from the restructured acquisition fee.

Anyone else have thoughts here?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here