Votes
Jason Xue
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Business Meals on Travel

Jason Xue
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jun 26 2019, 12:22

I am planning to visit my rental property (out of state) and meet with my team (agent, property manager, etc). I know that the mileage (I'm driving) is fully deductible, but are all meals also deductible? or only the meals where I meet with my business partners and discuss business? Technically, these meals wouldn't have taken place if I wasn't on this trip, right?

Guidelines on the IRS website is rather vague... Here's an excerpt.

Deductible travel expenses while away from home include, but aren't limited to, the costs of:

1. Travel by airplane, train, bus or car between your home and your business destination. (If you're provided with a ticket or you're riding free as a result of a frequent traveler or similar program, your cost is zero.)
  2. Fares for taxis or other types of transportation between the airport or train station and your hotel, the hotel and the work location, and from one customer to another, or from one place of business to another.
  3. Shipping of baggage, and sample or display material between your regular and temporary work locations.
  4. Using your car while at your business destination. You can deduct actual expenses or the standard mileage rate, as well as business-related tolls and parking fees. If you rent a car, you can deduct only the business-use portion for the expenses.
  5. Meals and lodging.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511 

Loading replies...