• Investor
  • San Angelo, TX
Votes |
Canadian investing in Texas

Nick Seginowich
  • Investor
  • San Angelo, TX
Posted Jul 22 2019, 10:44

I am currently in college in San Angelo Texas and have realized how great the market in this town is for rental housing. I want my dad to purchase a house with his line of credit and then I will manage the place, but it seems like everyone I talk to has no idea how this works for Canadians in the states. I am looking for anyone with any expertise on this matter or contact info for someone that does!

User Stats

Votes
Lance Lvovsky
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Jul 23 2019, 04:38

@Nick Seginowich

You should discuss this with a CPA well versed in cross border tax. There are a number of implications including tax filings, type of entity, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 24 2019, 06:59

I represent many international investors. The key is to setup a domestic LLC that allows for local management. We can work with CPA on tax implications as well. Will @Nick Seginowich be living in a room/unit?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nick Seginowich
  • Investor
  • San Angelo, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Angelo, TX
Replied Jul 24 2019, 07:54

Thank you Ronald, that’s what I was thinking as well! Also I won’t be living in the unit but I will be going to the university in the area. 

User Stats

Votes
Giovanny Garcia
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Angelo, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Angelo, TX
Replied Aug 4 2019, 07:28

Hey brother, have you seen or been to the Meet Up?  The next one will be on the 17th.  Nonetheless, I am not certain but I believe @Amy Zetzman could bring some value to this discussion if not at least know someone who could.  

User Stats

Votes
Amy Zetzman
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • San Angelo, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • San Angelo, TX
Replied Aug 4 2019, 17:58

Thank you @Giovanny Garcia. I'd need to know more specifics about the issues you're facing. PM me if you'd like to discuss further!