Address(es) for Rental Property LLC

3 Replies

Newbie here!

I'd like to setup an LLC in Indiana for a rental property purchase and rental. I'll have a property manager manage the property.

For the LLC address (physical and email) and for the business bank account addresses can I simply use my own? I'm in another state and don't need a prestigious address for brand awareness, etc.. (just rental properties). Am I still protected personally from litigation if I use my personal contact info?

Thanks!

Tom,

Indiana does not require that your domestic Indiana LLC have an Indiana address as your business address. It does require that your registered agent have a physical Indiana address though. Your limited liability protection is not altered by the address of the business so long as you "do business through your business."

@Tom Edwards please note that you may have problems with some banks when you go to open a business checking account. Some require that your LLC is founded in the state where the bank is. Ridiculous, yes, but just shop around.

Hi Tom,

I'm not in Indiana so I can't give legal advice for Indiana but based on my experience, the comments already made by @James Liwski and @Grant R look to be very good. My two cents is that in Colorado, I advise my clients to not use their home address just for privacy concerns. There's no need for a disgruntled tenant to have access to your personal address.