Can I Invest In U.S Real Estate?

Can I Invest In U.S Real Estate?

New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes

Hi BiggerPocket Members,

I am a graduate International MBA student from Melbourne, Australia. I am currently studying and playing basketball in Worcester, MA. I have been learning through the help of BiggerPockets about real estate investing for a while now.

I wanted to know if it was possible for I (an Australian citizen) on an F1 VISA could purchase an investment property in the U.S? And if so, what other expenses would I have to incorporate in analyzing a deal? I say this because I’d imagine I will be taxed differently (maybe from both countries).

It would be great if someone from this community could help. Thank you all for your time and happy investing!

Best,

Damien

1Reply
13 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lance LvovskyPro Member
    Accountant · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 753 votes
    7y

    @Damien Rance

    You can. You need to consult with a CPA experienced in cross border taxation. You need to understand the requirements of entity planning, obtaining ITIN/EIN, making sure all tax filings (federal and state) are being filed, etc. The US has various tax treaties and so you definitely want to make sure you are being advised on this front too. Good luck!

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Damien Rance

    naturally you can, you don’t even need any bank if you have some money down and can find a seller that can finance your better wealthier future for you.

    You probably just need to start a LLC to protect yourself legally!

    I have few residential rental properties in Little Rock, AR that I might finance.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Lance Lvovsky thank you for your response and advice. I appreciate your insight. Have you worked with with matters such as this in the past? 

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Hi @Ron Strand thank you for your response. Before I invest I will defiantly be opening an LLC before I start investing. I will also be consulting with an expert in the field.

  • Lance LvovskyPro Member
    Accountant · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 753 votes
    7y

    @Damien Rance

    I sure am. Work with many foreign investors.

  • Investor · Adelaide, South Australia · Member since 2015 · 136 posts · 78 votes
    7y

    Hi Damien,

    Yes, Aussies can invest in the US regardless of visa status.

    All the best mate!

  • Investor · Melbourne, Victoria · Member since 2015 · 203 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    Hi @Damien Rance

    @Jordan Sinclair is correct.  Aussies can certainly invest in the US market.  @Lance Lvovsky has some great advice and I also have some Aussie accountants quite well versed in global earnings so this would be a great place to start.  PM me if you need any contact information

    Best of luck!

    Cheers

    Lindsay

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Hi @Jordan Sinclair

    Thank you for your reply, appreciate the support mate!

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Hi @Lindsay Stewart,

    Thank you, I’ll send you a PM!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I will talk to a local loan officer to review your income means to prove you have the qualification. If you have assets overseas try an International Bank with US presence. Barclay, HSBC etc. To the mortgage it is just another department within the same system. Most sellers want you to put 20% purchase down.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.