Roofing company isn’t answering. What now?

5 Replies

Help!!

So I hired a roofing company early about a month back to replace the roof on my property. I did my research. Company had good reviews, insurance was active, and looked great. They quoted me a total of $27k to redo the roof on my home (tile). Like every other quote we got, they requested 25% down to order the material. So I gave them a check for $6,600.

The job was schedule to start next week.

For the last 3 days I’ve been calling the company on all numbers to see what’s the status and to see if we are on schedule. NO ONE ANSWERS their phone.

I called their insurance and they said that they dropped the company as a client for lack of payment.

Job hasn’t started, not sure if materials were ordered, not sure if I just got robbed? What should I do?

Someone please help me. This is in miami,FL.

@Allen Lopez

Call them from a different phone number tomorrow.  That will indicate whether they are just really busy or if they're screening calls.

The work was scheduled to begin next week?  Seems a little too early to panic and assume fraud or breach of contract to me.

@Eamonn McElroy

But since they have been dropped by their Insurance due to lack of payment shouldn’t I be worried?

Also, forgot to mentioned that I drove to their office, and it was barricaded with a black metal fence with no trespass signs all over. And it’s empty inside from what I could see through the wholes

@Allen Lopez

"But since they have been dropped by their Insurance due to lack of payment shouldn’t I be worried?"

I wouldn't be concerned about this information in a vacuum (i.e. by itself).  They may have problems managing their cash flow.  That isn't illegal or unethical.  Who knows.  They may have insurance currently from a different carrier.  I'm also very surprised their old insurance even talked to you, let alone told you they no longer carry that business because of non-payment...

"Also, forgot to mentioned that I drove to their office, and it was barricaded with a black metal fence with no trespass signs all over. And it’s empty inside from what I could see through the wholes"

Was this before or after you decided to go with them and gave them the advance?