Using IRA First Time Home Purchase Withdrawal for Remodel Work

Using IRA First Time Home Purchase Withdrawal for Remodel Work

Realtor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 7 votes

I have an opportunity to purchase a house that just needs some flooring, paint, and appliances to finish it up. It's been more than 2 years since I owned a home. I may pull some money from IRA using the first time home buyer exemption to avoid the 10% penalty tax. Is it possible to use those funds towards completing the remodel? I read a couple blogs that said it can be used towards building a house and remodeling but I can't find anything from the IRS specifically addressing this. Thanks for your help.

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Mark S.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
7y

@Ben F. @Curtis Chism

You absolutely CANNOT BORROW from an IRA. There are no loans on an IRA.

Other types of retirement plans, like 401(k), 403(b), etc., may allow for loans based on the plan document, but NOT an IRA.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @Curtis Chism It has to be a home you'll occupy to avoid the penalty. Otherwise you could borrow from the IRA, up to 50% but not to exceed $50k, and use the money however you want.

  • Realtor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Thanks Ben. Yes it will be owner occupy

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    7y

    @Ben F. @Curtis Chism

    You absolutely CANNOT BORROW from an IRA. There are no loans on an IRA.

    Other types of retirement plans, like 401(k), 403(b), etc., may allow for loans based on the plan document, but NOT an IRA.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @Mark S. Correct. Thanks

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    7y

    of course it’s correct.  

  • Carl FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ambler, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Curtis Chism

    If you borrow from an Ira it’s called a distribution if it is for more than 60 days. 

  • Realtor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Thanks guys. I am referring to taking a distribution not borrowing from the IRA. Can anyone refer me to an IRS publication that addresses this? When I was searching, the IRS website said to refer to PUB-A for early withdrawal rules. I went to that and it said to refer to PUB-B. I went to PUB-B and it said to refer to PUB-A! I found some blogs that said it can be used for building/remodel but I would like to see something in writing from the IRS. THANKS!

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Curtis Chism:

    Thanks guys. I am referring to taking a distribution not borrowing from the IRA. Can anyone refer me to an IRS publication that addresses this? When I was searching, the IRS website said to refer to PUB-A for early withdrawal rules. I went to that and it said to refer to PUB-B. I went to PUB-B and it said to refer to PUB-A! I found some blogs that said it can be used for building/remodel but I would like to see something in writing from the IRS. THANKS!



    1) You may be referring to 590-B. 

    2) While it is possible to take funds from an IRA and not pay taxes or penalties provided that you return the funds within 60 days (60 day indirect rollover), keep in mind that the 60 deadline is strict and you can only do once per 12 month period for all IRA funds that you have.

    3) Please note that you can use the proceeds of a 60 day indirect rollover for any purpose.

  • Realtor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Yes Pub 590A and 590B. I understand I’ll need to pay taxes on the withdrawal, I’m just trying to avoid the 10% additional penalty. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.